Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free ads sale - is this a scam?

Options
  • 03-11-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've advertised some goods on Gumtree recently and received an email from someone who wishes to buy them for a 'client'.

They asked for my name & address to send the payment to,which I have provided, and they have informed me that the payment has been sent with an extra €50 to ensure I delete the advert from the website.

They have also informed me that they have added 'commission and shipping fees' to the payment which will need to be transferred to them. I have asked why these were not billed directly to their client and am awaiting a reply.

Judging from the correspondence so far, it appears that English is not their first language.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bet they pay by dud draft.

Screams of a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Having checked the website http://www.gumtree.ie/help/stay_safe#item76
    it appears this is a scam. Shall I just return the paymrent when it is received?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yorky wrote: »
    Having checked the website http://www.gumtree.ie/help/stay_safe#item76
    it appears this is a scam. Shall I just return the paymrent when it is received?

I wouldnt even bother. The less interaction you have with them the better, really. If theyre proper scamming their hardly going to pressure you to have it returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

This is one of the oldest 419 scams from Nigeria.

The scammer offers to pay by cheque or draft but it is higher than the amount they need to pay you (which will be more than the asking price too).

They ask you to lodge the draft in your bank for say €5,000 and to then refund them €2,000 through Western Union...

Your bank will allow you to withdraw the €2,000 from your account but a week later the draft will bounce and you are €2k out of pocket and Western Union payments cannot be traced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

The draft is a forgery . My sister got one of these and gave it to the bank for their records. The local branch of TSB said it was a very good quality forgery - drawn on an Irish bank , right sort of codes etc on it. Hers was as a result of an ad on car zone. Once she had received the draft she got loads of emails from them helpfully pointing out the nearest Western Union transfer point etc. She emailed to say that there appeared to be a problem with the draft and never heard from them again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement