Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Spam e-mail alert

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:54pm

I just received an e-mail there stating how there was an attempt to access Online Banking, and access was denied for some reason. It was caught by the gmail spam filter but others might get it direct in their inbox, and may be fooled.

Basically, people have a click on 'that was me' or 'that wasn't me'. The links for both of them go to thebiltongfarmersauction.co.uk, which is a suspended page (there's a huge long address which ends up as 'Permanent TSB, I assume that it's meant to look like the PTSB website to fool you into putting in your details).

It could potentially catch someone out so I thought I'd throw it up here just in case. Verily warned are thee!
    Message-Id: <20071102110526.900EC38FD0@rut.casd.cz> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:05:26 +0100 (CET)

Permanent TSB BankPermanent TSB Bank

Sign-In Protection Alert
    An attempt to access Online Banking was denied on:
    Friday, 02 Nov 2007 at 7:04:26 EST
    Access was denied for one of two reasons:

* Incorrect attempts to access and Login failures.
    * Signing on from a different location or device different from your location and your IP address.

If you remember trying to access Online Banking on the above date and time, please select "That was me."
    If you do not remember trying to access Online Banking on the above date and time, please select "That was NOT me." You will then be prompted to safeguards your account.
    That was me That was not me

© Irish Life & Permanent plc is a limited liability company registered in Dublin under No. 222332. The company's registered office is: Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I would have thought the Czech email addy would have given it away!

Yep, it did. But someone mightn't look there first :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get this kind of spam a lot (tho not this particular one) and Ive noticed they used to be very sophisticated, with proper bank logos etc, but the latest batch have been very basic. I think the logic behind it must be that they just bang out millions of em and theyll hook a few stupid people regardless of whether its a good scam or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Should forward them all onto the security dept with your banks online banking too. At least they can work on getting these things stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I got a dodgy mail from what was supposedly Permanent TSB a few month ago..it contained the usual ..please verify your details by clicking here etc

I called TSB about it and forwarded the mail on to their i.t department, never heard a thing back from them which i thought was bad ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got a lot of these too, although normally purporting to be from UK banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

PTSB would always refer to online banking as 'Open 24'. If that's not mentioned, it's a big giveaway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

andrew1977 wrote:
    I called TSB about it and forwarded the mail on to their i.t department, never heard a thing back from them which i thought was bad ..
    What you're you hoping to hear to hear back off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

What you're you hoping to hear to hear back off them?

Well I would assume they should e-mail you back saying that yes this is definatly not from us.

PayPal have a service like that where you forward the spam e-mail to them and they always get back to you saying it is spam and giving you points on what a real e-mail from them is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Well I would assume they should e-mail you back saying that yes this is definatly not from us.

PayPal have a service like that where you forward the spam e-mail to them and they always get back to you saying it is spam and giving you points on what a real e-mail from them is like.
    Banks go to great lengths to advertise the fact that they will never ask for any of your personal details via email, therefore any email asking for personal details should be, by default assumed to be fraudulent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Banks go to great lengths to advertise the fact that they will never ask for any of your personal details via email, therefore any email asking for personal details should be, by default assumed to be fraudulent.

http://www.open24.ie/
    Security Warning
    * We DO NOT request login details via email
    * We DO NOT require your email for security updates
    * Please DO NOT divulge your login details to any third party.
    * If in doubt contact OPEN24 immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I got a dodgy mail from what was supposedly Permanent TSB a few month ago..it contained the usual ..please verify your details by clicking here etc

When a new spam email goes around targetting the bank, like the one above, they will get dozens of these calls and emails. It would be quite onerous to reply to them.

You should have been told straight away it was not from them. Open 24 (or any bank) NEVER email their customers asking them to confirm any details, at all. They only ask you to forward to them so they can track down the culprits and/or update and amend security procedures. You shouldn't have been given the impression you were going to get a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Should forward them all onto the security dept with your banks online banking too. At least they can work on getting these things stopped.

Only thing wrong with that is you have to open the email, then the sender/spammer knows you have a valid email address and just send more or sells your addy to more scammers/spammers. Best thing is if you don't recognise the address, don't open it, just delete it. If there really is a problem I'm sure you would get a call from the bank etc. Or when you tried signing in you would get some form of alert.

IME I always use the properties option on a dodgy email, then view source, you can see what the email is, who it's from, what the content is etc, without opening it, then delete it if it's spam.

DJ Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i get similar emails from a UK bank asking me to confirm my banking details, have never had dealing with that bank, dont even bother opeing the email, as one of the other posters said, opening, or attmpting to reply, just confirms to the spamers that they have hit apon a valid email address

Advertisement