Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeezebox questions

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a few questions for someone that has this device.

1. Does it have it's own internal speakers or does it need to be wired into a speaker system to be able to hear music? I have a HE system downstairs that it could be plugged into but upstairs I have none and would need something that has it's own speakers.

2. My PC will be in the loft and will never be used. It will be on all the time but will go into standby occasionaly when left idle. Will the squeezebox "wake up" the pc when it's turned on or would I have to have the PC fully on at all times?

Would the Roku Soundbridge or some other device suit me better? I'm not looking to spend lots of money on this. All I want is something with it's own speakers that I can stream music to from a PC in the loft!

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

assuming your talking about this

http://www.slimdevices.com/

1: no it doesnt have internal speakers , its just a streamer thats all , and you can buy a router for your pc that will do that.

2: no it wont , the pc on standby thing can be woken up with network traffic , but this wont do it , it needs an active connection all the time , a router on the other hand will do what you want.

3: I know of no device with its own speakers that will also stream content around the house , there are systems for attaching to various stereo devices that will stream around the house , Sonos and the like , but as regards your last point , a device that has speakers and also streams , besides a pc , no , I dont know of one.

http://www.sonos.com/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You missed out on the Logik IR100 that Currys and PCWorld in NI were selling for £40. It streams internet radio, as well as stream mp3's from PC over wifi network. These units are back up to £80stg now though (€130 or so in Currys ROI).

901880_01_huge.jpg
    I presume it's that sort of thing you're looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Yea, thats the kind of thing I'm looking for alright. I must have a closer look at it. Will this wake up the PC from standby mode?

byte

I'm not sure if it can wake up a PC.

Maybe check the forum on reciva.com (site that the Logik relies on)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I went to Currys and PC WOrld in Lucan yesterday and they dodn't have any of these. Is there anywhere else I can get one from?

• Advertisement
    byte

AFAIK, Logik is a DSG brand, so would only be in DSG shops like Currys or PCWorld. Maybe Dixons? It's listed on Dixons.co.uk £5 cheaper than Currys online.

Their website (co.uk - currys.ie domain is suspended) only gives me stock status for UK shops.

Otherwise, maybe buy a similar item, but not Logik, or check eBay.

Advertisement