Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who should we send the summons to?

Options
  • 03-11-2007 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

He's dead wife you inconsiderate prick!!

In the add that fairly ****y reject fobs off a death in the organization like it where nothing, I'd give him a puck just for that.

What excuse is acceptable for not having a tv license? A friend of mine just told the inspector man to **** off and get the cops, and it worked!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ScumLord wrote: »
    What excuse is acceptable for not having a tv license?
    There's only one acceptable excuse and that is not having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Another excuse is That you have blocked all signals being beamed into the interior of your home and thus don't receive rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Blowfish wrote: »

Yup, while perhaps not necessarily agreeing with its principals, it is a law and therefore it should be paid... those ads are annoying though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Blowfish wrote: »

What if you have a TV, but no electricity?

AFAIK you should have a licence for any apparatus which is able to receive a signal i.e. TV, laptop etc. People try to get away with it buy saying that they only use a TV for gaming, but it doesn't fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

i dont live in ireland any more but when i did i never had a tv, to be honnest irish tv is sh1te. apparently as stated you need a licence if you own any equipment capable of recieving tv.. including computers , videos ect....
    there is no way in hell i would get a tv licence for my computer on which i dont watch tv on. - this law should be abolished -

i can somewhat understand in the uk you pay for a tv licence - over there they get the BBC for their money. some quality programs and NO advertisments every 10 minutes

in ireland what do you get..... no good irish programs and a few decent imported ones with ads every 10 minutes... i dont see how this is a good deal for irish ppl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I don't see why they bother with this "licence" lark when everyone has a TV anyway, can't they just pay for RTE out of the Exchequer, abolish licences and tell the licence inspectors to get proper jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

connundrum wrote: »

AFAIK you should have a licence for any apparatus which is able to receive a signal i.e. TV, laptop etc. People try to get away with it buy saying that they only use a TV for gaming, but it doesn't fly.

a laptop can't receive a tv signal unless it has a tv card. watching a video on it isn't the same thing. the law is that you have to have a licence if you have a device that is capable of receiving a telegraphic signal, ie a tv tuner.
    marktsang wrote: »
    i dont live in ireland any more but when i did i never had a tv, to be honnest irish tv is sh1te. apparently as stated you need a licence if you own any equipment capable of recieving tv.. including computers , videos ect....

again, you don't need a licence for a computer but a video player has a tv tuner in it so requires a licence

I don't see why they bother with this "licence" lark when everyone has a TV anyway, can't they just pay for RTE out of the Exchequer, abolish licences and tell the licence inspectors to get proper jobs.

because then they'd have to raise taxes. people would get more annoyed at a 1% tax increase than having to pay the licence even if it worked out at exactly the same amount. this is because people are stupid. they prefer to pay their tax in loads of small ways rather than one big way

also, not everyone has a tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Having a licence is ridiculous when we have ads as well. BBC have no ads, they make money from the licence fees. and they make good programmes. RTE don't. Dan and Becs, the english class. Alternativley why not gouge your eyes out with an ice cream scoop.

Bloody RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The ads are often better than the programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Comparing RTÉ to the BBC is ridiculous.

Let's just use a rough example here.

Say 1 million households in Ireland pay for a TV licence.
    That's €158,000,000 for RTÉ (£109,810,000 GBP)

The UK has a significantly larger population and their TV licence costs more.

Let's say that 20 million UK households have a TV licence.
    That's €3,899,280,000 for the BBC (£2,710,000,000 GBP)

If someone wants to look up the actual stats, then feel free.
    That's just a rough estimate using current prices and exchange rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

connundrum wrote: »

What are they really trying to get away with though? Some people genuinely dont use their tv to watch tv. The law needs to be rewritten with common sense in mind.

In fact it should be rewritten and renamed for what it is, an rte licence, and give people the option of not receiving rte, and not paying the licence. There'd be a lot of people who would quite happily do away with rte if given the option. Needing a licence to own a piece of electronic equipment is a bloody nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have a tv but it doesn't bite or hump your leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

a laptop can't receive a tv signal unless it has a tv card. watching a video on it isn't the same thing. the law is that you have to have a licence if you have a device that is capable of receiving a telegraphic signal, ie a tv tuner.

again, you don't need a licence for a computer but a video player has a tv tuner in it so requires a licence

Technically a PC, a laptop or a mobile phone/PDA can view video on demand or flash video or RM/WMP video from websites or even illegally d/led material....this technically means that the device is capable of receiving televisual broadcast and is thus subject to license, or at least that's what RTÉ and it's friends in the Dáil wanted to bring in...dunno if it ever worked out for them or if someone with an ounce of cop-on nipped it in the bud.

RTÉ should be made stand on it's own two feet as a commercial entity....cut the deadwood and the pension deficit, re-direct ad revenue into actually making decent wide ranging programmes instead of giving it all to a handful of talk show presenters. Force it to compete, take away the crutches....if they're as good as they're always telling us they are then they should do alright....hell they might even make themselves some money.
    The current system where you basically just tax people for f*ck all is wrong. It's even more wrong that anyone could be sent to jail for such a piddling little misdemeanour as failing to have a license, or the imposed fine. Stop criminalising people for stupid sh*t you bunch of throwbacks...

Wertz wrote: »
    Technically a PC, a laptop or a mobile phone/PDA can view video on demand or flash video or RM/WMP video from websites or even illegally d/led material....this technically means that the device is capable of receiving televisual broadcast and is thus subject to license, or at least that's what RTÉ and it's friends in the Dáil wanted to bring in...dunno if it ever worked out for them or if someone with an ounce of cop-on nipped it in the bud.

yeah i remember that but i don't think it ever came into force

according to this site:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

the device has to be capable of receiving a television signal, which a pc isn't. playing back a recording is different. so a dvd player doesn't need a licence and i believe that if you took the tuner out of a vcr it wouldn't need it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

skywalker wrote: »
    What are they really trying to get away with though? Some people genuinely dont use their tv to watch tv. The law needs to be rewritten with common sense in mind.

In fact it should be rewritten and renamed for what it is, an rte licence, and give people the option of not receiving rte, and not paying the licence. There'd be a lot of people who would quite happily do away with rte if given the option. Needing a licence to own a piece of electronic equipment is a bloody nonsense!

I completely agree. Now, where do we start? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I don't watch tv, haven't in weeks. I don't miss it at all. I have my internets and my books and my phone and my friends, and if I want I can watch dvds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If they are so worried about people "stealing" their simply amazing content, why don't they fully introduce a digital terrestrial service for those that want it, turn off the Analog terrestrial service, and leave everyone else alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

In fairness to RTE, if you like the Sopranos, Prison Break, Lost, Entourage etc etc this is where it is on first. BBC in comparison mainly do their own programs and they are of a higher quality. If the choice was between all our stations being like TV3 or having to pay a whoping €13 a month in licence fees, I think I'd chose the latter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't understand what's goign on here...

who's wife is dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

High&Low wrote: »
    In fairness to RTE, if you like the Sopranos, Prison Break, Lost, Entourage etc etc this is where it is on first. BBC in comparison mainly do their own programs and they are of a higher quality. If the choice was between all our stations being like TV3 or having to pay a whoping €13 a month in licence fees, I think I'd chose the latter...

Thats the point, you absolutely should be able to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Mordeth wrote: »
    I don't understand what's goign on here...

who's wife is dead?

Yeah I read this whole thread all the way through to find out about the dead woman. What's up with the dead body? Where'd they hide it, in the telly, or something?

Makes a change from suitcases...

Wertz wrote: »

RTÉ should be made stand on it's own two feet as a commercial entity....cut the deadwood and the pension deficit, re-direct ad revenue into actually making decent wide ranging programmes instead of giving it all to a handful of talk show presenters. Force it to compete, take away the crutches....if they're as good as they're always telling us they are then they should do alright....hell they might even make themselves some money.
    The current system where you basically just tax people for f*ck all is wrong. It's even more wrong that anyone could be sent to jail for such a piddling little misdemeanour as failing to have a license, or the imposed fine. Stop criminalising people for stupid sh*t you bunch of throwbacks...

Greatest post ever.

Well done, sir, I take my hat off to you.

Advertisement