Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Dual Core or Slower Quad Core?

Options
  • 03-11-2007 12:42am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting a new computer system from komplett.ie and im thinking of 4gigs of memory and either a gforce 8800GTX or the ultra version, however im not sure which processor is best. Theres a 5 euro difference between the fastest dual core processor the E6850 3.0ghz, 1333mhz socket with 4mb cache and the Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz with 8mb cache.

The computer will be used for Macromedia Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Adobe photoshop and also to play some the latest games like Crysis, Bioshock, Unreal Tournment 2007 as well as older ones such as Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Source.

With a 5 euro difference between processors which would yield me better results overall between the dual core and quad core.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Get the quad core, it'll be more future proof. I think crysis actually benefits from a quad as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd also go with the quad, not sure which of those apps you listed can utilise multiple cores but if you're using a lot of apps as well as gaming Quad Core would be better. For gaming, either would be fine, though the 6850 would probably be better, most games are not optimised for quad core and those that can use it generally don't see any significant benefits going from dual to quad (not as much as you'd see in the difference between 2.4 and 3Ghz). That said though, from this point on it'll be becoming more and more common, not to mention that even at stock 2.4Ghz will eat any game, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

go for the quad, thats what im doin! u can get it for about 230€ from aria.co.uk, thats where i am goin to get all my parts for my upgrade!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get the quad, add a better cooler & clock it to 3Ghz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Get the quad.. from playing crysis your going to need it!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get an 8800GT - it's faster than a GTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

ye quad deffo, just got this one & it moves real fast
    quad core extreme q6850 3ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

sector wrote: »
    ye quad deffo, just got this one & it moves real fast
    quad core extreme q6850 3ghz

wow som1 gots loads of cash can i have some :D

ya go for quad.keep up with the times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

I've been playing a lot of the Crysis demo and have to say I saw no benifit from my Quad.... Horrible slowdowns during physics intensive situations... And these kind of games are pretty much what I got the thing for...

Hopefully it's just the demo though. Somehow I doubt it.

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of the Crysis demo and have to say I saw no benifit from my Quad.... Horrible slowdowns during physics intensive situations... And these kind of games are pretty much what I got the thing for...

Hopefully it's just the demo though. Somehow I doubt it.

8800GTS 640mb

crysis has been show to use 4 cores.

also: the clocks on ur card is a bottleneck ur memory is only running at 800 while ur core is running at insane speeds at 690.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

awhir wrote: »
    8800GTS 640mb

also: the clocks on ur card is a bottleneck ur memory is only running at 800 while ur core is running at insane speeds at 690.

No it hasn't, link or it didn't happen :rolleyes:

If you don't want to accept the word of someone who actually HAS a quad core, then I don't know what to tell you...

awhir wrote: »
    8800GTS 640mb

Well it only barely uses two cores let alone the others... The 4 cores are definately not being utilised enough.. It may just be like this with the demo though.

About my GTS OC.. The memory is at 985mhz (1970 effective), surely thats not bottlenecking? Won't go higher anyway.

All in all it's game stable ;)

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    Well it only barely uses two cores let alone the others... The 4 cores are definately not being utilised enough.. It may just be like this with the demo though.

About my GTS OC.. The memory is at 985mhz (1970 effective), surely thats not bottlenecking? Won't go higher anyway.

All in all it's game stable ;)

fix ur sig then :D hehe btw that a very good overclock on that card.

also the day the demo came out i seen 2 or 3 lads who showed 4 cores being used while playing the game.

will look for the link tomorrow.

Yeah but I wish I could hit 1k on the memory though. Just tried there a second ago and it's not gonna happen.. Never artifacts.. games just freeze at 1000mhz..:( Ah well I guess somethings gotta be sacrificed for a 690 core!

And yeah thanks I'd be interested to check out that link. Post it up if you can find it. I'm just convinced that my Quad isnt doing much across the cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Gonzo wrote: »
    either a gforce 8800GTX or the ultra

I'd strongly recommend you consider getting 2 8800 gts in sli instead. Stay away from the ultra, it's only marginally better than a gtx and terrible value for money. You can get a pair of gts for a little more than a single gtx.

As for the processor, the 6750 is perfect for games, but the q6600 will probably last longer. Again, i'd say the 6850 is bad value for money. (Same chip as the 6750 but €80 more)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thx everyone for replying, with every reply in favour of quad over dual core im definitely gonna go with the quad core now. However im gonna hold off for 2 weeks to see what happens, im half thinking of ordering 2 of nivida's new 8800GT 512mb instead of 1 8800GTX 768mb but they havent appeared on komplett's system builder yet. Im using this as I dont know how to put a pc together myself and would rather its properly built together by Komplett.

Also I read that Intells newest processor, the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Penryn is expected to be released on November 12th, while I wont be getting it, maybe the prices of current quad core processors may fall in price by then and that I can get a Q6600 or Q6700 for cheaper. Komplett are also currently out of stock on the Q6700 so hopefully in 2 weeks time I can finally make up my mind and have my new system ready for the christmas!

Advertisement