Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most asked question here... about to start new build!

Options
  • 01-11-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know its more than likely the most asked question in this forum but Im still going to throw mine in here...

Am just back from India and have an almost 1500(non spent wages woohooo!) to spend on a new rig.

Am putting together a bit of a list of parts at the mo... Let me know what you think...

Intel Q6600
    4GB Corsair 2 x 2048 - 8500CSD
    500GB HDD Spinpoint T HD501T - As recommended by PCFormat...
    512MB 8800GT
    Jeantech Aqua Butterfly - I know... I know... but with a bit of spray paint it might look alright...
    750W ThermalTake Toughpower
    LG 22" to match the one I already have... Dual Monitor goodness

The last real thing I need to find is a good mobo - I have around 160 to spare - Any suggestions? Not big into the OC thing so not really worried about that side of things...

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The only thing I'd change is the PSU. You dont need 750w.

There is a Corsair 620w Modular PSU which would be better

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327672

Try this for a mobo http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330522

Or this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324780

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Is it better as in a better PSU? Cause its €35 more expensive... Not a big deal all in all but want to be sure...

And thanks for the mobo recommendations... First one looks interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329410

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331973

Would prob go for something like those myself, nice and cheap and give you the option of putting in another 8800GT in Sli. the other boards will only support crossfire and if you've already got one 8800gt...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Archytas wrote: »
    Is it better as in a better PSU? Cause its €35 more expensive... Not a big deal all in all but want to be sure...

I would recommend Corsair over most PSU's anyday. Yes it is slightly more expensive, but would be of better build quality. Read the reviews about it on Komplett

It is also Modular, therefore you would have a tidier case (Only have to plug in leads you need)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would agree, the corsair 620hx psu is simply amazing. Its quiet and stable. Do not go for that jeantech yoke. You will be using high end parts that generate alot of heat, so you will need a case with good cooling. I would reccomend a Coolermaster stacker, a silverstone tj-07/tj-09 or a a lian li v1000-v2000. They are very expensive cases 200-350€ but are well worth it. Also, since you are oging with 4gb of ram you will need a 64bit operating system, so i would reccomend vista. Also, get a second smaller hdd for windows alone. A 36gb raptor is a great idea, and only install windows and windows components on it. Windows vista alone takes up 20+GB when fully patched.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329410

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331973

Would prob go for something like those myself, nice and cheap and give you the option of putting in another 8800GT in Sli. the other boards will only support crossfire and if you've already got one 8800gt...

First one looks great - Was worried about the PCI-e being split in SLi if I was to go for that down the line. But every review I've read has said that this isn't niticeable until your gaming at ridiculously high res. Am sold on the corsair if you all say it has good build quality, Wasn't that worried about it not being modular as I've been able to quite good cable management in the past.

I was thinking about a raptor, but they're quite hilariously expensive in terms of gigs per €.... also i dunno I quite like the jeantech case - it has some really nice features but your probably right.

I was actually just going to take the loss of 700M RAM on the chin. But since I have access to vista 64 bit it might be a good idea. Any here use 64 bit vista and and do any gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Apparently Crysis has been running better for people with
    64bit systems.

I have 4 gigs of ram and the fact that Vista cant address almost
    an entire gig of ram really pisses me off. Maybe you want to take
    it on the chin but if I was in your shoes now I would definitely go
    64bit.

Raptors are expensive but nearly every second day on adverts.ie
    someone is selling one.
    You could get 2 36gigs for cheap enough and raid them.
    Or one of the newer 74gigs are a good bit faster than a single 36gig.

I know all the reviews say that the latest 500/1TB drives are much
    faster than the raptors but this tends to be large media files.
    The 10k spindle speed will benefit you as a OS drive due to the
    ****loads of IO operations of the page file etc.

You could also consider getting a Vista Certified USB drive and use
    that to get a little bit more performance out of your system.
    My conclusion is that this method can get you an average of 2-5%
    of a performance increase overall after a period of a few weeks once
    vista has "learned" your usage patterns.

I am always a big supporter of the bigger the case the better as
    you will always be buying more and more hardrives.

Thanks for the advice folks. Reckon I'll go with the 650i Mobo. Nice and cheap and it will do if I get a second GT near christmas. Not really a whole pile of future proofing but I'm going to have a lot of quality parts and will do another major upgrade to the PC next year anyway. (maybe January 09... this side of christmas does really look like a bad choice now... but why wait? It'll be out of date in a few months anyway...)

As for the Vista choice I have both 64 and 32 bit Vista so I'll see whats better suited with regards to compatibility. Im leaning towards 32 bit anyway - really good drivers are thin on the ground for 32 bit vista as it is!! and I don't see myself ever doing anything that will eat 4GB of RAM. 4GB of Dual channel with only 3.25 available is always going to be a bit better than 2GB with 2GB available...

Again Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Future proof it that bit more and go 680i - could turn out to be worth the invetment. As a benchmark my sig (minus the coming soon stuff obviously) was €863 delivered - add the GFX and that's a nice rig and you can easily add a monitor and change the proc etc and maybe even upgrade to a GTX. I can only reccommend hardwareversand.de for value - same spec was at least €1000 anywhere else online.

Advertisement