Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick SCSI question - HELP!

Options
  • 01-11-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I started a thread this week about a failed scsi drive...

I bought the following rig from gline here on the boards:

Intel QX6700@3.34ghz
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
    2x POV 8800gtx
    2x scsi320 147gig 15k rpm hdds raid0 + PCI-E SCSI RAID CARD
    320gig sata2
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker

He was up a week ago to do a few bits (he's abroad now for three weeks and unreachable)

Anyway, after an unsucessful attempt at installing a IDE drive bay (not enough power cables on the motherboard) - and a bit of tinkering inside the case, the bios showed the following error at startup :

1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) found on the host adapter
    1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) FAILED -
    1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) handled by BIOS

Gline said it was a lose cable so he tweaked something and it worked. So I'm convinced it's not a corrupted drive...

The same issue has arisen again - I'm lost looking into the thing and need a little help - the rig has two HD's and a DVD drive - I've opened it up and tried to mildly fiddle with the cables into said drives... same error message on bios.

I've wizZard coming up tomorrow evening to have a look, but here's my question...

If one drive is being recognised, can I just unplug one (to find the failed one) and hope to god the working one is my windows boot...?

I've a dual boot on the system - XP/Vista.

'My Computer' reads three drives - XP / Vista / and another called 'storage' - however I don't know how the partition is seperated (gline set it up) - if the two OS's are on one scsi and the stroage is on the other!

Could I just remove the cable and power lead to the back of one scsi and boot the rig up?

Would this damage the rig? ie does the BIOS KNOW there's 2 scsi drives?

I'm really frigged without the PC (I've work to be done) and need a quick boot to windows...

Thanks in advance, and apologies for draggin' this subject over a few threads -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

from the looks you have a Raid enabled system...

Your logical drive is FAILED....... Which means
    A)Raid 1 = 2 drives.. with both drives in failed or offline state
    B)Raid 0 = 1 or 2 drives in failed or offline state.

Check on post for a Raid controller bios...You maybe able to enter the Raid controllers bios by pressing a key stroke....normally listed around the same place as the above error...
    Depending on the Raid controller you may be able to force the drives back online.....you will need to check the documentation for the controller on the web if its possible on yours....If not say bye-bye to you data...
    If it was a Raid 1 you can also sometimes try this trick.....Turn off the raid controller and connect one of the drives to the onboard controller....It will either boot to windows or blue screen(try repair install) or no boot device if your unlucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks for the reply football,

It was indeed a failed Raid0 drive... I've bought a new raid controller and hd's and will move to raid1 - fresh install of OS's tonight...

Shame really, I just bought the rig a month ago, and with the unpredicability of raid0: ie 1 dies - all die!

I'm now out of pocket a good deal of cash, but at least it'll be a stable system...
    footfall wrote: »
    from the looks you have a Raid enabled system...

Your logical drive is FAILED....... Which means
    A)Raid 1 = 2 drives.. with both drives in failed or offline state
    B)Raid 0 = 1 or 2 drives in failed or offline state.

Check on post for a Raid controller bios...You maybe able to enter the Raid controllers bios by pressing a key stroke....normally listed around the same place as the above error...
    Depending on the Raid controller you may be able to force the drives back online.....you will need to check the documentation for the controller on the web if its possible on yours....If not say bye-bye to you data...
    If it was a Raid 1 you can also sometimes try this trick.....Turn off the raid controller and connect one of the drives to the onboard controller....It will either boot to windows or blue screen(try repair install) or no boot device if your unlucky....

Advertisement