Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing home a Laptop From America

Options
  • 01-11-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I am heading to new york shortly and thinking of getting a laptop while i am over ther since the euro is doing so well. i was wondering if anyone knows what the deal with bringing it back through dublin airport will be??? Will i be charged tax??

Also if anyone has done this before have you had any problems with the power differences??? (i.e. american 2pin plug, irish 3 pin???)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I bought a laptop in the states a few years ago when I was on a J1 and so did 4 of my friends.
    When you get the laptop get rid of the packaging and any other evidence that it was purchased recently and then take it as carry on luggage and if anyone give you any hassle tell them that you took it over with you.
    As for the 2pin-3pin I just bought a standard travel adapter and used that. Has worked fine so far and this is 3 years later...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Cheers iv heard some horror stories of people gettin caught so taught i'd check. think a cheap laptop bag might solve all my woes!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A while back I came home with two laptops - a work laptop and my own personal one. Not a bother.

As for the power - all laptops are now dual voltage, so all you need to do is either cut off the US plug and replace it with an Irish one, or buy an adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

apope8 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I am heading to new york shortly and thinking of getting a laptop while i am over ther since the euro is doing so well. i was wondering if anyone knows what the deal with bringing it back through dublin airport will be??? Will i be charged tax??

Also if anyone has done this before have you had any problems with the power differences??? (i.e. american 2pin plug, irish 3 pin???)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest purchasing an Irish power adapter when you get back, the US ones work at 110v not 220-240v like you get in Europe. Fortunately just the power adapter blows up, rather than the entire laptop.

If you remove it from the box and place in your luggage they won't tax you.

tom dunne wrote: »
    As for the power - all laptops are now dual voltage, so all you need to do is either cut off the US plug and replace it with an Irish one, or buy an adapter.
    shoegirl wrote: »
    I would suggest purchasing an Irish power adapter when you get back, the US ones work at 110v not 220-240v like you get in Europe. Fortunately just the power adapter blows up, rather than the entire laptop.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hmmm
    Originally Posted by tom dunne

neacy69 wrote: »
    hmmm

Is there a point in there somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

shoegirl wrote: »
    If you remove it from the box and place in your luggage they won't tax you.

All electronic items must be in hand luggage...

so a laptop bag would do ok den??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Yup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

apope8 wrote: »
    so a laptop bag would do ok den??????

Yeah! With most airlines you can bring a laptop bag (with laptop in it of course) and another item of hand luggage...

I've never carried a laptop and hand luggage with Aer Lingus transatlantic since their baggage charges etc (only done it with US Airways, Continental and Delta out of and into Dublin. They don't have extra charges/budget airline restrictions on luggage.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Is there a point in there somewhere?

for the benefit of those who dont get the sarcasm ,

Every laptop I have ever seen , ever , has had a power supply rated at 100v - 240v 50/60hz , as you would naturally expect because the things are designed to travel with you.

Its not called dual voltage , thats its operating range period , and should cover anywhere you ever want to take it.

There will be no mains power issues no matter where in the world you take it , you may have to pay 5-10 euros for an adaptor to fit a certain socket , but thats it.These are available in most decent hotels , and almost every airport on the planet , theres no need to cut anything , no matter what type of plug comes on it.

Great i'm gona be flying with delta thats a huge relief of my shoulders. i'v heard horror stories about charges and even confiscated. And i saw in an apple store the oter day (a mac is the laptop im looking for) an accessory pack that had all different connections as in american 2pin, euro 2 pin and the ol homeland 3 pin. So hopefully that should have me sorted!!

By the way iv started a new thred
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055175971

bout the exchange differences between apple online stores if anyone has any insight would be great!!!

Advertisement