Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should a normal check up in a dentist cost?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just went to my dentist for my annual check up. He scraped my teeth for 10 mins, said I have to go somewhere else for an x-ray, and then come back and he will give me 1-2 fillings.

Just for the 10 minutes I was in there, the cost so far is €160! Who knows how much it’s going to cost in total.

Is this a complete ripoff – or are these normal charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Why not ring them and ask? They are your dental practice after all, any response here would be speculation!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

???

I know how much my practice charges for a check up - I just had one - it cost €160

I'm asking what other people ususally pay for the same thing - and if you think mine is extortionate...

A friend told me his is PRSI connected and costs him very little. I'm not sure if I should change though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Anything they charge is a ripoff, thats why they open their own practice

same with GPs

A clean at my dentist is like 50 euro. A lot for 7 minutes work, but still 100 euro cheaper than yours

U shoulda said you needed to go to an ATM to get the money and just never gone back

They're the ones bein greedy so they've noone to blame but themselves

PRSI gets you a discount depending on how many payments you've made

I'm gna get VHI Dental Insurance

Its only 200 odd a year, you get one checkup and one emergency treatment per year, and you can claim back 50-70% of most charges at the end of the year. And when a bleedin checkup costs you 160, theres no reason not to!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got a bill and have not paid it yet - probably won't until it's over.

I just don't see why he makes me come back a second time - another fee - for fillings when surely he could have done it there and then. Also he wants me to go get an xray somwehre else and I may have to get my wisdom teeth out.

Should I go elsewhere and just tell him to stuff it?

Definately, go somewhere else

Get a phonebook and list some of the other dentists near you and call and get a price check on a checkup+clean, the difference is mad

But yeah I well recommend the VHI Dental insurance, cos fillings are about 70 each dependin where ye go, so you'll save loads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

A check up and clean is free if you have PRSI cover and fillings are ?50 quid each. Forget additional VHI insurance. Doesn't seem to be value for money in this instance. Am I missing something??

A check up and clean is free if you have PRSI cover and fillings are ?50 quid each. Forget additional VHI insurance. Doesn't seem to be value for money in this instance. Am I missing something??
    I mean in the long run

the insurance for a year is only 200, and most bills if u get a check, clean and a fillin would be about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

So you would need more than 4 fillings per year if you have PRSI cover to break even. Surely that's an extreme case. I heard people on Joe Duffy show yesterday saying that this cover wasn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

the people that were on joe duffy were confusing medical and dental policies.

in the dublin area, treatment is generally more expensive. If you have paid 160 so far, i'd be worried on what he plans on charging you for fillings.

Are you not covered by PRSI? you are entitled to a free exam and cleaning if you are. What dental surgery are you attending? Are you in dublin?

Yes I'm on PRSI. Dentist is in Dublin, Wellington Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

As far as i know, you're entitled to a free checkup and clean every six months on the PRSI if you have been working a couple of years. I know this as I'm due my twice-yearly visit at the mo. There is also around 20% discount on fillings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Abbey2000 I am afraid your three posts on this forum have all been spam...please stop or there will be a ban.

Prices vary from practice to practice. You should always check to price before you sit in the chair...to not pay after is breach of contract and you will get the dept collectors round in some cases.

Check if you are PRSI eligible...you are then entitles to a free check up once a year.

Just got my two fillings today - cost: €300. Got myxray yesterday, €50. Total Cost including first check up €510!

And now I have to have all 4 wisdom teeth out! He said my lower ones are very near to a big nerve, and so he is going to send me to the best man in the country for it - God know's how much that will cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Zascar wrote: »
    Dentist is in Dublin, Wellington Road.
    Theres your first problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Zascar wrote: »
    Just got my two fillings today - cost: €300. Got myxray yesterday, €50. Total Cost including first check up €510!

And now I have to have all 4 wisdom teeth out! He said my lower ones are very near to a big nerve, and so he is going to send me to the best man in the country for it - God know's how much that will cost!

Holy shoite ! I had an x-ray and two fillings in my dentist in the last month, total cost to me €184, net of the PRSI contribution.

The dude I see has a rep for being one of the more expensive dentists in my locality as well, but thats grand 'cos hes good.

You my friend are getting shafted :eek:

Also thought it was very nice of your dentist to recommend you to the "best man"...a nice little boys club by the sounds of it.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

unreggd wrote: »

U shoulda said you needed to go to an ATM to get the money and just never gone back

You are a scumbag and a criminal if you do this.

I would never do this, he has been my family dentist for over 20 years. I've already piad him for the first part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

50 euro for an X-Ray?!?! Never mind 300 euro for two fillings, that is a rip off for an x-ray. My dentist doesn't even charge for x-rays and the last time I saw a different dentist (in Ranelagh) it was around 20 euro.

If I were you i'd go to a different dentist. You don't sound too confident about this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Big_G wrote: »
    You are a scumbag and a criminal if you do this.

Whereas charging €160 for a 10 minute clean is good hard honest toil!!! :rolleyes:

Check-up with X-rays in Newry is £40.00 (€60 approx)

Large white awkward (!) filling £80 (€120 approx) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh let's not get into the North/South price differences thing again, it's been done to death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

sudzs wrote: »
    Whereas charging €160 for a 10 minute clean is good hard honest toil!!! :rolleyes:

Check-up with X-rays in Newry is £40.00 (€60 approx)

Large white awkward (!) filling £80 (€120 approx) :D

He might be overcharging, but he's not breaking the law. The patient is free to go to another dentist, and should be made aware of pricing before any work is performed.

Just as a matter of interest, I have worked in several practices in Dublin, some of them have been cheaper than what you quote above, and some more expensive.

Advertisement