Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl GPS

Options
  • 01-11-2007 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Has anyone bought the Lidl GPS, and if so, how did you find it? They are coming up for sale again next week in Lidl for €299, am thinking of getting one but wondered if anyone bought one before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

At that price, you could get a decent TomTom or Garmin unit, particularly in the run up to Christmas. At least then you'd be guaranteed map upgrades, support and third-party compatibility.

Look to the interweb! Pixmania, Komplett, eBay (be wary!), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I bought this unit...it's a Becker Traffic Assist Pro 7916 but the Maps on the included DVD were from Q4_2006. I assumed I would automatically qualify for an automatic upgrade to the latest one i.e Oct '07 but not so...they wanted another €129.00 for this map...it uses Navteq.
    Anyway, it's gone back to LIDL and I am still looking to buy a SatNav but it won't be a Becker....anybody know if Garmin and/or TomTom provide a free upgrade to the latest maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garmin provide a free upgrade to the latest maps, as long as you purchase (registered) the device after the new maps become available. After this, an upgrade costs $75.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Thanks for that info, I was beginning to lean towards Garmin anyway. So is it just a matter of finding out when the next Garmin map issue is happening and registering/purchasing afterwards or is it safe to assume that if the latest maps for the Becker were released in Oct_'07 that the latest Garmin release is also Oct_'07 seeing as they both use Navteq mapping? Strangely, though, if you visit the Navteq map update site, while Becker is listed under portable devices Garmin is not? Look here:-

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_IE/-/EUR/Default-Start;pgid=2qxIa3WKwfpSR0EFAT58NKmG0000duufZAwP;sid=48waOWhi0-MbOS9XezkKMWJoOwCgyLCuWT0=?gclid=CM2FzaiZ0o8CFQ2wQwodLwRC9Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My dad got one from my mum for Xmas-it was bought without any research. The biggest problem I have is that I have only been able to get it to stick to the window of a hired Astra while in the UK. Now it won't even stick to the suction cup plate provided with the kit. It wasn't exactly cheap, so I am disappointed-anyone else have the same problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement