Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walther G22 rifle: bullets jamming

Options
  • 31-10-2007 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

I recently began shooting, with a new Walther G22; very happy with it so far except for one thing:

Although I had no problems with the first box of .22 Remington yellow jackets (with truncated cone tip), they now seem to jam periodically, quite often. I discovered this trying to slide on the first bullet of a new box from the magazine, and it happened repeatedly. I also experienced one misfire (which I very carefully removed and seperated from the others). Later on, inside a shed, It was easier to slide them on and in, but it still happened every so often.

I don't seem to have this problem with the rounded copper tips.

What seems to happen is that the very side, about a milimeter, of the flat tip jams just beneath the entry hole of the barrell (I know this is probably not the correct term), as it is being slid in from the magazine. I can see it actually get jammed there. I can even see a slight flattened dent in the flat face of the bullet tips.

I met a man in the gunshop of a local town today, who happens to have a G22 also; he expressed surprise that there were jams, and suggested it it might be because of a slight deformation of the magazine if they were dropped, for example. I don't recall doing this though.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any suggestions, comments, or advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yellow jackets are the problem. I had the same trouble with my .22 lr SA. Changed to stingers and have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Have heard horror stories about the G22 I was going to buy one but
    was put off. It's ment to be very picky about the type of ammo used.
    Duffy's in Galway have sold a few of them they may be able to recommend
    a brand/type of ammo best suited to them.

The issue you mentioned where you see the tip of the round catch
    on the bottom of the chamber where the round is about to get chambered
    into the barrell I had with my CZ452 in .17HMR. When I used V-max tips
    I had no feed problems, when I used hollowpoints where there was no sharp point on the actual bullet itself I had the same problem as you mentioned.

I dont know what caused it but I did notice over time as my Magazine wore
    in that the issue disappeared. so maybe its a mag issue.
    I still find the hollow points a bit "rough" to cycle and the vmax cycle perfectly.

~B

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

G22's are well known for stoppages of all kinds. Last time I fired one it failed to extract most of the time. You could try Lapua Standard Club which is very oily and tends to feed better in picky SA's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Feirmeoir

This is all really handy information - thanks to all of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Have a rummage around the Walther section over on RimfireCentral for plenty of user feedback from all over the world.

The man you met who expressed surprise that you were getting jams either hasn't used his much or has probably the only one in the world that doesn't.

Mine works pretty well with Lapua Super Club and Federal bulk pack stuff, but it's far from 'absolutely reliable.'

SAs by their very nature run 'dirty,' but the G-22 gets particularly filthy which leads to all sorts of problems, including the 'failure to feed' you've come across.
    They come from the factory with a fair bit of crud and junk in the action which need to be shifted straight off, and regular cleaning afterwards is essential for stress free shooting.

I usually strip off the plastic shell and give the whole action a good blast through with aerosol carburettor cleaner followed by a shot of the airline. Stubborn stuff may need the attention of a carbon/powder residue cleaner of some sort, followed again by the carb cleaner/airline treatment.
    A squirt of lube and a final blow off of compressed air, and it should be good to go for another while.

Everyone I give a go of it loves firing it, it's just a FUN gun; I have no intention of disposing of it, despite its shortcomings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I had one of those G22S before had all the same problems with it.
    I found cci standard velocity worked perfectly .
    I had plenty of probs with yellow jackets across the board with different rifles
    over the years .I found the accuracy is generaly ###p aswell with those rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Glad it ain't just me that hates yellow jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Some years ago I batch tested several different HV makes at 100 yards with an Anschutz 1710. As far as I can remember I tested CCI Stingers, Mini Mags, Yellow Jackets and Winchester Super X. I shot from a benchrest and the best group was with the Super Xs, the Stingers and Mini Mags weren't great, the groups being much wider but the Yellow Jackets went all over the place.
    This doesn't mean that they won't shoot better in other barrels but I'd have grave doubts about that round.

Advertisement