Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Plans for battery

Options
  • 31-10-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, i was just wondering if it's possible to set different power plans for my laptop to be used depending on whether or not it's plugged in...

Basically i'd like it so that if the laptop is plugged in it would run a high performance power plan, and if it's not plugged in it would run a power saver scheme, and for this to change automatically...

Is this possible?

I have a Dell Vostro 1500, running Vista Ultimate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm running Linux here, so I can't check, but I am almost 100% certain there is a way in Control Panel->Power options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

All I can find is how to change the plans, not to set which is run when...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah actually I'm the same, have to manually adjust depending on where I am. In the old Nvidia control panel as well, you used to be able to change the clocks of the card for when plugged in and out. I assume the three power options I've got automatically adjust these things, but still, it's fairly sparse in terms of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,053 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

hardware notebook control is a great (free) program for setting up power profiles, pretty easy to customize dynamic switching so you can set the switching limits of the cpu, the slowest and fastest you want it to run... last night my laptop was running a program at 100% for a long period, so was able to step it down to run between 600mhz and 1.2ghz instead of between 600mhz and 1.7ghz

also if you have a thinkpad, can set it up to customize the fan speed for the cpu temperatures so you can run either quieter/hotter or cooler/noisier

Advertisement