Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Undiscovered Passage Tombs

• 30-10-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Do you think it is possible that their is any large (Newgrange size) undiscovered passage tombs left in Ireland?

Perhaps in bog or under forest vegitation. For instance if you ever look at a map and see the contour lines in an unnatural round shape, is it possible that it is a cairn or just a natural hill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Well, I don't think contour lines would register a passage tomb. Most passage tombs have been discovered but only a handful investigated. There are a lot of mounds marked on maps but as to what they are can't be deduced without firther intrusive investigation in most cases. For example, some think that the mound underneath the obelisk on Killiney Hill is a passage tomb. It would fit nicely with the pattern of passage tombs in the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains, but no investigation has been done so it is at best an unclassified mound.

Although, Stefan Bergh identified a passage tomb on Knocknarea only a few years ago. It had been missed by the OS and other archaeologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'd be surprised if there was another Newgrange out there but there's so many sites in Ireland that have been dug out by developers or kept quiet by farmers in the fear that they'll have people coming trampling over their lands and ruin the peace and quiet of their area. There'll be a few impressive finds yet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

if you ever travel furthur down the boyne past newgrange and even go as far as leinster bridge near clonard, you'll see mounds all along the river, I'd love to take a closer look at some of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what about bremore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bremore has been known of for quite some time. Its only really becoming popularised by the suspected protests over its destruction regarding the construction of the new port. Generally ignored in the past. Still might take a trip out before it becomes a warzone

Megalithomania - Bremore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I was over at Bremore for the first time last week. A really beautiful and unspolit place. Would be a shame to see it destroyed for the new Port. Similar to the tombs in Sligo the shores here probably would have been full of shell fish etc.
    Maybe with the economic slow-down it might be saved.

On the main topic of undiscovered passage tombs, I know of a possible tomb on the Tipp/Limerick border that hasnt been recorded to date.
    Bizarrely the owner of the land it is on has built his own visitor centre and plans to open it to the public.
    Im not sure how that works in terms of the National Monuments act to be honest. Ive been to see it and although their is no visible tomb entrance the whole setting is very interesting. The mound seems to be set in a natural or modified amphitheatre and to the north of the tomb their is a henge like ditch.
    So it is definitely an unrecorded monument of some kind.
    He also claims that a number of archaeologists from National Museum etc have been down to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

maybe its become known because some of them are about to be detroyed nothing to do with protests, anyway i had heard they never been really looked at properly

Advertisement