Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class size & Mix?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

What was your class size in college and what was the mix of male and female.

Im doing a Computer Science and a lot of people drop this subject after 1st year so my class numbers have gone from 135 in 1st year to 65 in 2nd year and I do 3rd year subjects as well (I know how lucky) and there is only 45 students in the class. Also 5% of the class being female is really bad.

Though one of my Maths classes this year has 320 students in it and there is a nice mix of the sexes with prob more female.

Source of class size from moodle

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USC drama has a grand m/f mix and wild cast parties after stage and film events!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Doing an art PLC in Dhulaigh and it's about 50/50 gender-wise.

Although the 3 years i spent in DCU was a little different... Computer Apps, maybe 5% girls (if it were even that much).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Approx 75% females in my college.

Good looking ones too.

*grins*

Was just 20 - 20% female in my engineering classes in college there. Some hawt ones though.

That was in a class of around 160 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am in DT211 Computing(DIT Kevin street) and out of a class of about 30 people, around 17% are female.
    Apparently, nearly every course in Bolton street(Engineering) has a ridiculous male:female ratio:D

Kevin street is a bit better, whereas Aungier street attracts the most females in comparison to all the other large campuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I'm doing BESS in Trinity. 236 students. About 60% female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Doing Product Design in DIT Bolton Street. 32 guys, 7 girls. A further proof of ridiculous male-female ratio in Bolton Street.

Naikon: Mountjoy Square is almost 80% female, with a few dazed, tired or confused males coming in now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'm doing 1st Computer Science w/ Arts in UCD. Computer science has depressingly few girls, whereas my German class is 90% females. Heartbreaking that I'm doing a single major in CompSci next year :( :mad:

As for sizes;
    German - ~80, split into 4 groups (great atmosphere i have to say)
    CompSci - 300 or so in programming, only <100 doing denominated CS though
    Psychology - Something like 400+... Theatre L = ugh

Don't really like the big classes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm in final radiography in UCD, we have 34 girls and 5 lads in our class.

All the years below me average slightly better with about 10 guys and 30 girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Doing chemical engineering, theres about 25 in the class with 7 girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Approx 450+ in my year, split into 8groups.
    Approx 50-60 in each group.
    Got about 10lads in my group..and that's one of the higher ones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Naikon: Mountjoy Square is almost 80% female, with a few dazed, tired or confused males coming in now and then.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Doing Product Design in DIT Bolton Street. 32 guys, 7 girls. A further proof of ridiculous male-female ratio in Bolton Street.
    Naikon wrote: »
    I am in DT211 Computing(DIT Kevin street) and out of a class of about 30 people, around 17% are female.
    Apparently, nearly every course in Bolton street(Engineering) has a ridiculous male:female ratio:D

Kevin street is a bit better, whereas Aungier street attracts the most females in comparison to all the other large campuses.

I know how ye feel lads..(my college has a 9:1 girls to lads ratio)
    Perhaps we should amalgamate?!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

eamoss wrote: »
    What was your class size in college and what was the mix of male and female.

Im doing a Computer Science and a lot of people drop this subject after 1st year so my class numbers have gone from 135 in 1st year to 65 in 2nd year and I do 3rd year subjects as well (I know how lucky) and there is only 45 students in the class. Also 5% of the class being female is really bad.

Though one of my Maths classes this year has 320 students in it and there is a nice mix of the sexes with prob more female.

Oh count yourself lucky! I did two years of computer programming in Carlow IT, started off with about 50 students, only 6 of us graduated last weekend! now in third year in WIT and there are about 12 of us in the class-only 4 girls!

Advertisement