Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie: pistols/handguns, .22, mexican silhouettes

Options
  • 30-10-2007 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

I am a farmer in the southeast, and recently got my own shotgun and rifle.

I have been plinking away with the rifle, and even bought a cheapish clay thrower to bang away on weekends, but frankly, I'm a lousy shot.

I had been thinking of joining some kind of range or club, and was considering Bishops Mountain (shotgun) and/or the the one in Rathdrum (rifle). This isn't just to get some help or advice, but also to give the neighbours a break (no complaints about my going through a box of .22s on a Sunday afternoon so far, but would prefer not to provoke any), and also maybe for the social side of it.

However, lousy shot though I am, I must admit being tempted by the idea of applying for a pistol (_eventually_ - would like to be able to hit something with the things I have first), especially if I were already going to be in a club with a range.

I'm not necessarily interested in being an Olympic-games participant or anything, and this would be more for the fun-sport aspect of it; so I would probably gravitate to the .22 caliber. I'm aware and appreciate that pistols are for range and club use only; but the .22 caliber is at least something that I'm relatively familiar and comfortable with, and also I would have less problems walking into a couple of local farm and hardware stores and buying it there (I get the impression that 9mm stuff etc is a bit more difficult to come by.) Frankly, it also would seem cheaper too (epecially for someone learning).

Are .22 pistols used for sports or competitions in Ireland? Are there any of these held in the southeast? Can you just be in a club or range member to participate, or do you have to join an additional group? Any advice on groups to join?

Also, I was looking at the Duffy's website in Galway, and was wondering did anyone have any opinions regarding the SIG Mosquito versus the Walther P22 for example? Are there any other sporting pistols of this caliber I should be aware of, or that would be recommended?

Also, do the shooting sports community (I know this is very broad) consider .22 pistols "serious" enough (i.e. will I be regarded as a clod for getting one - I wouldn't care except I would have to join a range or club with other people who I'll be asking advice from).

On a seperate note, I've read a little about Silhouette shooting and the Mexican variety (I think); is this something that's popular? Can you use a .22 rifle? And does it occur in the southeast at all? It would appeal to me as a farmer, admittedly, rather than the more Olympic activities. :) Any good clubs, competitions or groups that anyone could recommend (any in the southeast?)?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help; I appreciate that these are questions that may seem to have obvious answers to those used to shooting sports, but I am a good bit away from the nearest range or club; and I would also prefer to be a bit more informed before I join one.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Your points are well made. In general .22 is the most vesatile caliber for clubs and competitions in Ireland. You will see as many .22 pistols on the firing line as you will full bore pistols and competitions are run for both. There is a club in the South East which caters for shotgun, pistol(.22 and bigger) and .22 rifle shooting, including mettallic silhouette. It is the East Coast Shooting Club located in Roundwood, Co. Wicklow. PM me for directions. You will be made most welcome and can get to see all the disciplines in use and get coaching, before deciding what you like best.BTW the best .22 semi auto pistol we have seen is the CZ cadet which is better built and more reliable than the Sig or the Walther.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

East Coast is a good spot to be able to do everything and compete if you want. The 1 day a week shooting is the only down side, but if you have your own land that may not be a big issue.

Leupold is spot on about the Kadet, great pistol, more expensive then the Sig or Walther but far superior. I hound the gip on the Walther far too short so fingers were falling off the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

If Mohamed wont go to the mountain....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055170693

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Have a look at Hilltop aswell (www.pcquad.com)

Same area as East Coast
    May have better biscuits tho :D

Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol Ranges

If you were to "go for a look" - you would need to call Pat in advance and let him know - especially for the Pistol - not available to walk-ins - to ensure there was someone available to take you through the ranges and the disciplines.

Regardless fo what you wish to shoot - Shotgun, Rifle or Pistol - you will need to have a safety officer with you at all times until you are deemed to be safe.. You can hire out a club gun until you find what you like. Pat would probably have some ideas on what might suit you.

Usually a good bit going on most evenings aswell - he's closed on Mondays.

Hope it helps

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dunno about the Kadet, but the P22's definitely not worth the money. You wouldn't even be allowed us it in Rathdrum because even from a rest, it can't hold the shots on the target frame, let alone in the scoring rings. The baikal that RRPC just bought as a club pistol would be my recommendation - it's fairly cheap and more accurate than it sounds like you'd ever need - but you'd always know that you weren't being limited by the pistol, but by yourself (and it's a lot less hassle to train more than it is to have to go off and have a gunsmith fix your pistol or to buy a new one). At any rate, it's critical, especially with pistol, to try it first - what works and feels good for one person may be utterly unusable for another.

Can't stress enough though that joining a club is the best step you'll ever take. And in the southeast you're spoilt for choice - there are more clubs (and more licenced shooters) in Wicklow than in any other county, and Wexford's not far behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

(_eventually_ - would like to be able to hit something with the things I have first),

why dont you get yourself a resetting target they are great for practice ...while your deciding what to do ??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feirmeoir wrote: »
    On a seperate note, I've read a little about Silhouette shooting and the Mexican variety (I think); is this something that's popular? Can you use a .22 rifle? And does it occur in the southeast at all? It would appeal to me as a farmer,
    This bit worries me!!!!!
    I would of thought that as a farmer you wouldn't like the thought of shooting at various livestock targets:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

HHHmmm. I see the contact details but can you briefly tell me where to buy a few of these targets and why can you not use sub sonic ammo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Feirmeoir

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and information; this is a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rovi wrote: »
    Not quite, these are the targets-
    http://members.cox.net/riflesilhouette/targets1.htm

The National Silhouette Association of Ireland govern/administer the sport here.
    The targets are smaller than I thought, would I be correct in thinking that they aren't full size. The size and distance of the targets vary depending of gun to be used. Pistols using smaller targets closer etc

Advertisement