Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's Wealthiest Countries - AOL Survey

Options
  • 30-10-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

AOL have recently published a survey of the worlds richest nations and there value!

NO IRELAND in the top Ten!

1. United States. $13,201,819million ($6.6trillion).
    2. Japan. $4,340,133million (£2.17trillion).
    3. Germany. $2,906,681million (£1.45trillion).
    4. China. $2,668,071million (£1.33trillion).
    5. United Kingdom. $2,345,015million (£1.17trillion).
    6. France. $2,230,721million (£1.11trillion).
    7. Italy. $1,844,749million (£0.92trillion).
    8. Canada. $1,251,463million (£0.63trillion).
    9. Spain. $1,223,988 million (£0.61trillion).
    10. Brazil. $1,067,962 million (£0.53trillion).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

zexstream wrote: »
    AOL have recently published a survey of the worlds richest nations and there value!

what does it measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

I think you have some typo's
    These look very close to the very publically known GDP figures... and they are pretty worthless in estimating overall wealth. Figures like this are meaningless unless you are into top-trumps style games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jeesus, I hope you failed maths in school. These are not per capita numbers. this is the GNP/GDP of the countries listed, your comment should be this is the list of the world's largest economies and their value

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zexstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zexstream

silverharp wrote: »
    jeesus, I hope you failed maths in school. These are not per capita numbers. this is the GNP/GDP of the countries listed, your comment should be this is the list of the world's largest economies and their value

Hey dont shoot the messenger!

AOl say World's wealthiest countries not me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hey dont shoot the messenger!

AOl say World's wealthiest countries not me!

it's the messangers comment about Ireland not being in the top 10 that deserves at least a couple of slaps if not summary execution.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

silverharp wrote: »
    it's the messangers comment about Ireland not being in the top 10 that deserves at least a couple of slaps if not summary execution.

Have to agree here!

OP, are you actually surprised that Ireland isn't in the top ten? We're a small country with little over 4 million people. Do you really expect our economy to be anywhere near as big as those in the top ten? It's the per capita figures that you need to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Funny, you really thought you were onto something there OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Those are the richest countries...
    Per capita is NOT what this is about.
    This is a whole different list....

per capita I would say is akin to pound for pound richest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Obviously the Top Ten list refers to the wealthiest countries in 'literal' terms, I say this because the Irish media have been banging-on about how little old Ireland is one of the wealthiest (if not the wealthiest) country on the Planet! where-as in "Reality" Ireland is not one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, but one of the wealthiest "PER CAPITA" which means something different all together ................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

ArthurF wrote: »
    Obviously the Top Ten list refers to the wealthiest countries in 'literal' terms, I say this because the Irish media have been banging-on about how little old Ireland is one of the wealthiest (if not the wealthiest) country on the Planet! where-as in "Reality" Ireland is not one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, but one of the wealthiest "PER CAPITA" which means something different all together ................

Also, in both cases, it is wealth in purely monetary terms. Ireland is a perfect of example of a cash-rich country with **** all infrastructure, i think its all a bit false.

Lads - ease off the OP.

No need to laugh at him for not knowing that, before I did Economics I wouldn't have known the significance of per capita either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lads - ease off the OP.

No need to laugh at him for not knowing that, before I did Economics I wouldn't have known the significance of per capita either.

Perhaps for the first time in his life (in-joke; I know him in real life), zaraba is right. It was a school boy error but no need to be primary school bullies either.

There's two things regarding the post. First of all it's like pitting Maria Sharapova against Roger Federer, you're not really comparing like with like unless you divide by population. Second of all, technically, there's a distinction between wealth and income. The above list measures income.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Really? It's a pretty common term. Not knowing the difference between something like GDP and GNP is fair enough, but per capita is one of those phrases that's pretty damn hard not to come across.

Not really - but instead of slagging him off, explain the difference.

*shrugs*

It's the internet, it brings out the belittling side of people.

Meh.. just thought I'd stand up for the guy, thought he got a harder time then he deserved.

It smacks of trolling to me but I'm a cynic.

Ibid wrote: »
    First of all it's like pitting Maria Sharapova against Roger Federer, you're not really comparing like with like unless you divide by population.

Damn MathType doesn't work on boards but here goes:

MS = RF does not work unless you divide by population

MS/n = RF/n

however n=1

So

MS = RF | ??

Maybe I need to take n'tiple derivatives of my model...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

its like this , your see how china is 4th on this list , well in terms of gnp which means the combined income of an entire population , china is 4th , but in terms of gdp , china would not even be in the top 50 as per head , china,s income is not that high where as per head irelands income is in the top 5

remember , gnp = gross national product = cobined wealth of population
    gdp = gross domestic product = income per capita or head

• Advertisement

moe_sizlak wrote: »

Um, no. GNP is GDP minus transfer payments. Neither is (by default) per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Righty here's a more useful list from IMF

Nominal per capita
    1-Luxembourg---80,288
    2.-Norway
    3.-Iceland
    4.-Switzerland---50,532
    5.-Ireland
    6.-Denmark
    7.-Qatar
    8.-United States 42,000
    9.-Sweden
    10.-Netherlands-38,618

Purchasing power parity per capita
    1-Luxembourg----69,800
    2-Norway
    3-United States--41,399
    4-Ireland
    5-Iceland
    6-Denmark
    7-Canada
    8-Hong Kong
    9-Austria
    10-Switzerland---32,571

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

moe_sizlak wrote: »

that's gonna give me nightmares.

nesf by transfer payments you'd be wrong as well... transfer payments are the redistribution of wealth within an economy, payments from the government to those on social welfare for example. they are taken into consideration when computing GDP figures as not to would cause double accounting. the difference between GDP and GNP is net factor income from the rest of the world i.e. profits from foreign owned companies activities in Ireland - repatriated profits from Irish owned companies activities abroad.

I surprised no one's mentioned here the distinction between GNP per capita and GDP per capita in relation to the Irish economy. our GDP is highly inflated due to them repatriated profits from all the foreign multinationals that use us as a tax haven, GNP while still not perfect gives a more balanced account of things. while for most countries GDP and GNP will have a minimal difference ours is about 10% to 15% (can't remember the exact figure now)

transfer payments are the redistribution of wealth within an economy, payments from the government to those on social welfare for example.

I thought there was a second definition to transfer payments, ie net factor income from abroad. Then, I haven't had to define GNP in years and am probably remembering things wrong. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nesf wrote: »
    I thought there was a second definition to transfer payments, ie net factor income from abroad. Then, I haven't had to define GNP in years and am probably remembering things wrong. :o

i figured as much, just though I'd include the definitions for moe and others. I unfortunately have it shoved down my throat a bit too often these days... seems like every bloody lecturer i have likes to make the same point. I GET THE DAMN PICTURE OK?!!!! :mad:

*ahem*

sorry for the tangent...

i figured as much, just though I'd include the definitions for moe and others. I unfortunately have it shoved down my throat a bit too often these days... seems like every bloody lecturer i have likes to make the same point. I GET THE DAMN PICTURE OK?!!!! :mad:

*ahem*

sorry for the tangent...

Well, tbh, if you want to get a feel for the difference between GDP and GNP then this is a very good country to be living in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ibid wrote: »
    First of all it's like pitting Maria Sharapova against Roger Federer, you're not really comparing like with like unless you divide by population.
    Great metaphor there ;-)

Advertisement