Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - phone line installation

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone knows of anything that I can do or something that I can get this issue speeded up.

I recently built my a new house. In April of this year I ordered the installation of a phone line. I was told that because it was a new build it would take up to four weeks before it would be installed. Happy days.

However, it is now 6 months since I ordered the line and it is still not in. I live in the middle of the countryside and I have been told some whoppers why the delay - including they are waiting for the approval of a traffic management plan - I live off a road which would be lucky to have 20 cars a day go down it. And in addition - they only have to dig a small drain - approx 10m on one side of the road.

I am really annoyed over this. It could have been far worse. My wife was expecting in July and there is no mobile phone coverage so we needed the phone line just in case she came early or whatever. That all worked out ok - (lovely baby girl!) but it may not have. She is now at home for 6 months without any phone coverage at all.

Is there anything that I can do about this? Anyone that I can talk to to complain or speed this thing up. I have talked to Eircom a million times - including their complaints line - which is next to useless.

I have no idea when it is going to be installed - and I am sick and tired of them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

march into local main exchange and demand to speak to manager in engineering , they lurk in these places , what region ??

Comreg will do nothing until its a one year old order , this is Ireland not the developed world .

you got a written receipt / confirmation , of course you did .....right !

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

Is there any other alternative than an Eircom landline in your area. such as BT etc... don't they do landlines without going through eircom.

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_services_phonelines.shtml

www.digiweb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, all lines are owned and maintained by eircom. No other company will be able to speed this up for you. It's a bad situation, but one that may not get any better for a long time. I've heard of people waiting over a year for a line to be installed. I don't think there's anything you can do either, except keep hounding them. Not much help I'm afraid but as Sponge Bob says, this is Ireland.

Any chance there's a Wireless broadband in your area that you could use VOIP on? Probably not if you're in such a remote part that mobile coverage is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I am actually not in that much of a remote area - it is on the edge of the Curragh. Just the mobile coverage is crap!!!

Ready to go through one of them - but may keep hounding them as you suggested. I can't believe that they are allowed to get away with such crap service.

Have the receipt and confirmation alright. Of course, there was no delay in them talking my deposit off me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The engineers will be in the district hq for 045 which is the big exchange in Naas .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

twenty8 wrote: »
    Ready to go through one of them - but may keep hounding them as you suggested. I can't believe that they are allowed to get away with such crap service.
    ComReg decided a few years ago to allow Eircom up to a year to install lines. At the end of a year, it is possible that Eircom will tell you that it is not worth their while installing the line though at this point you may have some redress with ComReg. Unlikely though.

The annoying thing is that ComReg used a consultation on the EU Universal Service obligation (whose purpose was to strengthen user rights) to remove rights from Irish users.

It used to also be the case that no matter where you were in the country you were entitled to have a line installed at a fixed standard cost. Now, potentially, Eircom can charge thousands. Again, this right was removed by ComReg under the guise of a consultation purporting to strengthen user rights.

Most of what pretends to be competition is in fact merely reselling Eircom services so these companies are no help whatsoever.

Advertisement