Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Mergastore advice please

Options
  • 29-10-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi, can someone please advise. I bought an xbox 360 last year from Virgin and it stopped working last week (would not read any disc's) I could not find my receipt so Virgin did not want to know, so I booked it in for repair with Microsoft, €88 euro and then I found the receipt this morning and discovered It is a year old tomorrow 30/10/07, rang Virgin and they said they will only cover it for 6 months and I will have to get it repaired with Microsoft. I thought items like this were covered by 12 month warranty in shops ......please advise

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

ALS wrote: »
    rang Virgin and they said they will only cover it for 6 months and I will have to get it repaired with Microsoft. I thought items like this were covered by 12 month warranty in shops ......please advise

HI

that's also my understanding is the shop for 12 moths, I think you can check Citizens Information website for more info.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how are they to know that you bought it from them?

these guys sell hundreds of these things a week, but seriously won't give stock away unless they know the broken one you're returning was bought from them.

your warranty in these shops = your receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Didnt he say he found the receipt?
    I'd try follow it up. It should be covered under a 1 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ALS

Like I said I found the receipt this morning but it expires tomorrow and they are insisting they only offer 6 months warranty.......what should I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Surely microsoft offer the warranty? - http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/5979/7003/Microsoft-xbox-360-console-warranty.phtml - Ring microsoft back and tell them you have the receipt. Ring them today!

In any case, write a letter asking for warranty service explaining the situation and saying you want to assert your statutory rights as a consumer, and your rights under the warranty, and hand it in at the branch tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oops sorry i skipped over the part that says you found it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I dont think its law that retailers have to offer a 12 month guarantee but Im not sure. Call another Virgin and ask them whats the warranty period with an Xbox. It might be only 6 months which would be unusuall for electrical goods in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

As far as I know (you should google it) Microsoft also recently extended the warranty on all Xboxs bought before a certain date from 1 year to 2(or even 3) years. They had a lot of problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ALS

Called Virgin LIffey Valley and they offered 12 mth guarantee quoted this to Blanch and they have agreed to replace console ...going up now to swap over ......happy days :)
    thanks everybody

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Called Virgin LIffey Valley and they offered 12 mth guarantee quoted this to Blanch and they have agreed to replace console ...going up now to swap over ......happy days :)
    thanks everybody

glad to hear this ended well,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thanks everybody
    Sounds like a staff member poorly trained :(

Advertisement