Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos 605 wifi and Ipod classic

Options
  • 28-10-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting an Archos 605 Wifi but was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea of the size difference between the 2 and is it noticeable? Any other opinions on them would be cool too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

its nothing like the ipod shape/deisgn wise, just think of it as an avi player with 4.3" screen. If its an mp3 player that fits in your pocket that you want, then stay away. If you want a portable avi player, then fire ahead and buy it.

check youtube for videos of the 605

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

These are very different players. The Archos is considerably larger but offers more compatibility with other formats, mp3, wav, wma, aac+, ac3, mp4, divx, vob, mpg, avi and more. I've been using an Archos since the start of the year and it's a great player. There are some interface quirks that take some getting used too, but I'd prefer it over the iPod.

iPod, is smaller in every way including the screen size. A more restrictive list of compatible formats but iTunes is excellent (in my opinion) at managing content and media libraries. The big downside is that you will need to convert most videos you want to play.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Oh and i left out that the iPod video support is awful. The archos will play 95% + of divx etc. So unless you enjoy converting videos i'd steer clear of the iPod unless you are getting it mainly for music.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why would you not mention that those additional codecs (AAC, AC3, MP4, VOB, MPEG 2) require plugins for which you must pay €20 a pop? I think this is a pivotal bit of info...

The ipod video support does suck, unless you're purchasing stuff from itunes, which sucks anyway :P

Quick question for the OP, do you have many movies / tv shows stored on your computer already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Mactard wrote: »
    Why would you not mention that those additional codecs (AAC, AC3, MP4, VOB, MPEG 2) require plugins for which you must pay €20 a pop? I think this is a pivotal bit of info...

Dead right, sorry that is a critical bit of info and actually both plug-ins are required for the full range of support. That'd be 40 Euro extra.

It does have the ability to support them all though, which is at least better than the closed iPod (in my opinion)

Cheerio
    Howard

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Got my 605 today, looking forward to loading it up tonight.

Advertisement