Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raid Question - Nforce 4 mobo ....

Options
  • 28-10-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I want to keep my RAID 0 on Nforce 4 intact with Windows XP install, however I want to install Linux, and scared of overwriting data on this array.

Can I physically unplug the two raid drives and install Linux on a 3rd SATA drive? Does my RAID array remain or return once I plug the same two drives back in?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

This is something I would also like to know as I am in the process of setting a RAID0 array up and want to know if it will remain intact if I physically move it.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Chaz wrote: »

Can I physically unplug the two raid drives and install Linux on a 3rd SATA drive? Does my RAID array remain or return once I plug the same two drives back in?

Thanks.

If you are talking about disconnecting your 2 existing drives & installing Linux on a totally different drive (3rd drive) playing around with Linux & then disconnecting the Linux drive & re-connecting your original 2 drives then

Yes you can.

Why don't you just install the 3rd drive (If you have the connections available) or create a new partition on you existing drives (If you have the space) and install Linux on it? That will automatically setup "Dual Booting", so when you start your machine you will get the option to boot into Windows or Linux.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 IconoclastCynic

I thought you could run Linux off of a CD, why give it a whole hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Gadgetman, yes, thanks - thats what I want to do.

I can run it off livecd, but its not the same. PCLinuxOS works from CD, Ubuntu not ...

Therefore I want to try install Ubuntu with the alternate CD, full normal install.

Advertisement