Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over under or side by side?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Which is best for clay pigeons a "side by side" or "over under" shotgun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

generally accepted that a modern u/o with changeable chokes is the
    ticket for that. Usually its best to get a slightly heavier gun than a light one ...it helps absorb the recoil.

Whicever type you go for , and there are many both in price and make, make sure you get one that "Fits" you .. it is really important if you hope to do well.

A visit to a clay shooting facility which hires guns and offers tution is your logical first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

O/u

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

used both o/u for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I've shot clays with both - did quite well with both - however I'd go for an O/U with changeable chokes as outlined above.

The side by side will kick the living b'jaysus out of you if you get the goo some day and shoot 200 clays.

I've heard that the Side By Side will wear out alot quicker as it's not built for it - as I have very rarely seen people shoot clays with Side By Side I have no first hand experience of that.

Also you'll probably want to have a go at DTL and ABT etc eventually and you want to be able to change the chokes for that.

I've a Browning 425 which fits like a glove - not "too" heavy either so could carry it around the fields for the day too.

I saw a guy a couple of weeks back - had a brand new U/O - beretta silver pigeon - only weighed 4lbs - beautiful gun - plenty of $$$$$ - not for clays as too light for the prolonged recolil hit - he wanted to shoot 50 clays with it - told him it was too much - offered him a gel shoulder pack - he said it was Ok - he had to stop after 30 clays as he couldn't take the pain any longer.

Be careful not to buy something that
    a) doesn't fit you - you should be able to mount it naturally and feel comfortable straight away and
    b) is not suitable for what you want - you need a bit of weight and good long barrels - 30" upwards

There have bee na few threads in here on what peole have and what they got rid of etc.

Go to a GunClub and do a bit of shooting and see what rings your bell.

Hilltop, 20 mins south of Dublin - www.pcquad.com
    or
    Courtlough, 20 mins north of Dublin - www.courtlough.com

Seem to have the best facilities for you to do that around Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You will pick up a reasonable o/u much handier than a decent s/s.

Of course, if you are minted a nice pair of Holland & Holland side by side would do the job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Thanks for all the advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The OU is generally considered to be a more purpose built gun , the barrels have a narrower sighting plane which allow a more precise view and allow slightly better peripheral vision. OU guns are more suitable for shooting clays, where one generally knows where and when the target will be presented. The split hinge pins and bifurcated lumps on the Beretta and the conical locking bolts have been combined to create a classic low-profile action. All the bearing surfaces are replaceable. Barrels are made from chrome-moly steel. A virtually indestructible combination.
    To me, the bottom line is balance. Balance in a shotgun is everything. All else is secondary. Get the barrel length that makes the gun balance and handle the way you want it to. Accept whatever barrel length goes along with that.

All that being said this lad (and most if not all of his fellow competitors) did just fine with a SxS in London, July 1908. Games of the IV *******d.

124234504_3c08c5a3f0_o.jpg

Anastasios Metaxas of Greece, 3rd, in action in the clay pigeon shooting event. Courtesy of the IOC/Olympic Museum collections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

*******d
    O lympiad

????????:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

All that being said this lad (and most if not all of his fellow competitors) did just fine with a SxS in London, July 1908

Hmmm ,

I wonder what selection of U/O shotguns he had to choose from..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

*******d
    O lympiad

????????:confused::confused::confused:
    It's to do with the Sticky thread at the top of this (and every other) forum- In light of legal proceedings issued by MCD ...
    More detail here- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965633

Basically, any and all mention of anything to do with the above mentioned company is banned from Boards.ie, including a concert venue they own, a certain Dublin theatre with a word not unlike 'Olympic' in its name.
    This word (and others, I presume) is picked up by the forum software and automatically 'asterisked', much like a swear filter.

Expect to see much hilarity next year on Boards.ie when people try to discuss the 2008 Olympics. :D

Advertisement