Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes Question

Options
  • 28-10-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Grrr..I really hate iTunes!! Why can't they make a better program to go with one of the best mp3 players out there? Just as I manage to get the hang of it there's one annoyance...

I use a 40GB laptop and my iPod is 80GB. It seems that I have to keep all of my music files that are on my iPod on my computer as well?! (In the music library). Or else, if I delete them from my library (while iPod is connected), it will delete from my iPod. Or, if I delete them from my library (while iPod is not connected), I will not be able to 'manage' (edit, delete, make playlists) my music. What am I supposed to do? Surely Apple realises that not everyone as huge hardrives to store all these files. I mean, what about the people who have 160GB Apple iPods...is there even 160GB hardrive computers out yet???

Any help asap would be great

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Buy an external hard drive (decent size, mines 500gb) and set the directory that you import music to to a directory on the new drive.

et voila!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

or, use manual sync instead of auto sync.

To do this, click on your ipod in itunes, the itunes screen will be taken up by the summary page of your ipod, on that same page is an area marked as options, tick manually manage music and videos, voila... no more auto deletage of your tracks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Mactard wrote: »
    or, use manual sync instead of auto sync.

To do this, click on your ipod in itunes, the itunes screen will be taken up by the summary page of your ipod, on that same page is an area marked as options, tick manually manage music and videos, voila... no more auto deletage of your tracks :-)

This will work but be aware . . if you have music on your ipod that is not on your computer and the ipod crashes (as they tend to) you will lose all your music . . this happened to me !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh of course, the best option is to have a back up of everything, all the time, this is rarely done though... I'm actually thinking of getting another HDD to back up everything I have on my computer and external HDD just as a precaution :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭lalalalinda

I could buy an external disc but will probably be pricey?

And I don't see the point in backing up my files. I still won't be able to manage them on my iPod.

And maybe I'm just being stupid here, but how does manually transfering files help? (not being rude here, I just don't get it)

I don't see why Apple can't go the Creative route and just let people edit/manage files in the mp3 player source on their computer. Why must there be a copy onto a music library? Why not transfer CD files (for example) straight onto the iPod and not make a copy?

I guess that it is 80GB and I can probably afford to just leave the stuff on there. It will be irritating not being able to make playlists from these songs, or in fact delete them if my music genre changes. Plus, I am REALLY pnickity (what a word!) about sorting mp3s into the right albums, artists etc. And if I find I've mispelt a song, or haven't put on the cover artwork, and I've gone and deleted it from my library because I've ran out of space....

:rolleyes::D:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

And maybe I'm just being stupid here, but how does manually transfering files help? (not being rude here, I just don't get it).

Ya see us Apple folk are lazy f**kers, we couldn't be ar*ed moving our mouse around and clicking menus and other rubbish like that - we have much more important things to be doing than worrying about what our computers are doing or what others are doing to our computers for that matter. Apple thought of all this and made iTunes/iPod fully automatic. You know - Plug 'n Play in the true sense of the term ! Basically when we connect out iPods to our Macs we just sit and watch as our computers do all those technical things like copy music over for us.

Then Apple decided to cater for . . . PC users ! Now knowing that you guys were used to doing things the hard way they decided to ad a "hard way" button to iTunes and hide in the depths of the program - just the way Windows likes to do it ! See, thinking of you guys all the time - bless. Now this means that in order to do things the hard way you must search through the menus and find the Manage music manually option which lets you - get this - do it the hard way, just the way you like it !!
    So now when you connect your iPod you get to drag the music to it manually rather than the computer doing it all for you - just like the Creative you crave !! And wait there's more ! To make ye feel right at home they made this "feature" work so that if the iPod does crash you lose everything ! Warms the heart to see how they pander to you PC folk it really does !!!

*/removes tongue from cheek ;)

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is your 80gig ipod a 5th gen ipod or a new 6th gen ipod classic?

if it's the former i suggest you'd give rockbox a go. it gets rid of itunes, allows you full control of the ipod's user interface plus - and this is a big plus - allows you to do away with itunes and use a folder, drag and drop schema, ie. say you store your music in C:\music\<band_names> well with rockbox you can store them on your ipod like this I:\music\<band_names>.

be warned though as this is totally community based software there's bound to be bugs and niggles, but other than that it's good.

And maybe I'm just being stupid here, but how does manually transfering files help? (not being rude here, I just don't get it)

In itunes you'll see your ipod pop up under "devices" (left hand side of screen)

Click it.

In the "Summary" window there is a section labelled "options", under "options" there are 3 tickable boxes, one of them is "manually manage music and video", tick that box.

You are now able to manually manage your music through itunes to your ipod.

Image attached: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5159/itunesscreensz5.jpg

Advertisement