Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassle to get reduction over new phone!

Options
  • 28-10-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got the Sony Ericcson w810i y'day in Carphone Warehouse, but not really pleased on the way i was treated by asking for a reduction:

Carphone like to match other competitors with their prices, but when i told the person in the shop that it was E10 cheaper (i had enquired beforehand) the person walked up to the shop in the Shopping Centre & came back & told me point blank that it wasnt :mad: I thought maybe i overlooked the price? but had to get the bus then, so i rang when i got home & was told the price was the same as it was when i checked it in the morning!

The reason i was getting the phone in CW as they take in your phone, battery, charger & give you E20 off esp. if you're given new chargers diff than the one you have! as i didnt need it if getting new phone!

So i went in the following week with the phone, battery & charger & had told him i wanted to get the phone today & had enquired about the price, the only way he could confirm it was take me up to the shop with him & see for myself,
    I thought OK to take the smug look of his face, but at the same time felt uncomfortable to do this, but i dont know why as the guy was speakin Polish with another guy in the shop, how the hell would i hear what theyre saying, but told me on the way back, that the price had come down that day:mad:

As i live an hour from the shops & limited time, i have to know what price im lookin for & pisses me off when someone doesnt comply with you.

Sorry if that was a bit long, but i remembered more as i was typing :)

As a consumer you've no doubt to shop around for the best price, but when a shop refuses to match the price & almost physically force the person to change it is annoying & makes you self-conscious to say the least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do CPW have a price match guarantee? Most shops require some sort of documentation to prove it.

If the guy went to the trouble of walking down to the other shop, what makes you think he was trying to screw you over? Surely it was more worth his while to get the right info while he was down there?

From my experience people who don't have English as a first language like to use their native tongue to explain complicated or drawn out issues ... gets the message through quicker. Maybe someone who doesn't have English as a first language can confirm this for me though.

You went in again today and didn't have any proof of the price beyond your word, so what's wrong with the guy going down to check with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

CPW's price promise needs written proof of the difference, ie a brochure from another store, or a worker can go to the shop themselves and check it.
    It's how it's verified.
    I don't really see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

annoying but unfortunately no grounds for continuing with your grieveance as you have no proof of any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Sounds like typical CPW to me. They lied (or just didn't know what they were talking about) to me before about my call credit entitlements when I was upgrading a phone. Even after I went back in again and brought them in the printout from the Meteor website they kept insisting that they were right and Meteor were wrong. Gave up and went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

MOH wrote: »
    Sounds like typical CPW to me. They lied (or just didn't know what they were talking about) to me before about my call credit entitlements when I was upgrading a phone. Even after I went back in again and brought them in the printout from the Meteor website they kept insisting that they were right and Meteor were wrong. Gave up and went elsewhere.

the meteor site is often wrong, the credit entitlements change very often and there is pretty much no way to find out since the site is wrong and meteor customer care use the site to check. what did they say you would get and what did you think it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

MOH wrote: »

Websites for most stores or networks are not updated everyday,in fact some could have information that is several weeks old. As for the credit on phones,it changes nearly every 2 weeks,if not week after week sometimes. Especially with Meteor. I work in an Xtra-Vision and Meteor are the biggest culprits for changing their credit entitlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Pythia wrote: »
    CPW's price promise needs written proof of the difference, ie a brochure from another store, or a worker can go to the shop themselves and check it.
    It's how it's verified.
    I don't really see what the problem is.

I'm only able to reply to this now as I was away for a week, & wanted to get that off my back beforehand.

But the thing i couldnt understand was that the person couldnt verify the price i had already seen earlier on!

The only visible proof i have is what i saw earlier in the store before yer man walked up himself & didnt verify it with me, so i had to verify it myself later on, by ringing the store when i got home & found out the price hadnt changed!:mad:

Before i went in the next week, i checked it out beforehand to see if the price had changed & it hadnt & so to verify it, he took me up with him & at that stage you can guess what happened as i said earlier.

That's what i was peeved off with:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

standbyme wrote: »
    but i dont know why as the guy was speakin Polish with another guy in the shop, how the hell would i hear what theyre saying

This annoys me, especially considering that they prob knew each other (or maybe even shared accomidation) and they were just making personal deals between themselves so customers wouldnt do this. CPW policy means that they loose out if they give the phone to you for cheaper then they're selling it for. The guy behind the counter is told this and he upholds that, meaning that he doesnt mind messing you about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

This annoys me, especially considering that they prob knew each other (or maybe even shared accomidation) and they were just making personal deals between themselves so customers wouldnt do this.
    They probably do, but yer man asked me to hear if it was the same price & started speakin polish, so i didnt hear anything?
    CPW policy means that they loose out if they give the phone to you for cheaper then they're selling it for. The guy behind the counter is told this and he upholds that, meaning that he doesnt mind messing you about

Yeah it just wasnt fair, & being made out to be a liar or something.
    If It wasnt that you could take in the charger etc, i would have got it off Meteor online shop cheaper than CPW.

If you dont mind me mentioning, but you mention CPW policy, is that instore info or you just know that ?

Advertisement