Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My college/leisure laptop

Options
  • 28-10-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a new laptop. These are the specs I'm currently thinking of getting and the price incl. VAT and delivery is 1,261.61. The base is an Inspiron 1520. I'm pretty happy with it but if anyone has seen a similar system elsewhere cheaper I'd like to check that out too. I've been searching a while and Dell does seem to be the best value. I'm looking for something to last me through college (in first year so 3 years after this one), I'd like to be able to play games but I know I can meet the min. specs of the ones I'm looking to play with this. It'll be used for everything and will be under heavy usage. I can stretch to a little more cash if needed too. Thanks for any tips!

Components
    BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

COLOUR CHOICE Bubblegum Pink Colour with Microsatin Finish & 2.0mp camera

LCD 15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™

MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

for the same spec, vostro is about 30% cheaper than inspiron :)

and keep an eye on dell outlet http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?country=IRL&target=InventoryPage&lob_constraint=INSP , it's cheaper, I got a highest-spec Inspiron 1720 at 800 Euro.. and it works perfect.. and dell outlet on ebay is worth watching as well.. it's the cheapest..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

but vostros dont come in "bubble gum pink"!
    Seems like a good laptop, you are paying a good bit extra for going for the pink though. as in you could get a cheaper vostro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

get a better processor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

You can get a much better laptop for that price... That's a rip off!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lovetwix wrote: »
    for the same spec, vostro is about 30% cheaper than inspiron :)

and keep an eye on dell outlet http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?country=IRL&target=InventoryPage&lob_constraint=INSP , it's cheaper, I got a highest-spec Inspiron 1720 at 800 Euro.. and it works perfect.. and dell outlet on ebay is worth watching as well.. it's the cheapest..
    If going for either of those best to spend some of the saiving on extra warranty for peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Attol wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for a new laptop. These are the specs I'm currently thinking of getting and the price incl. VAT and delivery is 1,261.61. The base is an Inspiron 1520. I'm pretty happy with it but if anyone has seen a similar system elsewhere cheaper I'd like to check that out too. I've been searching a while and Dell does seem to be the best value. I'm looking for something to last me through college (in first year so 3 years after this one), I'd like to be able to play games but I know I can meet the min. specs of the ones I'm looking to play with this. It'll be used for everything and will be under heavy usage. I can stretch to a little more cash if needed too. Thanks for any tips!

Components
    BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English

COLOUR CHOICE Bubblegum Pink Colour with Microsatin Finish & 2.0mp camera

LCD 15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™

MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

GRAPHICS CARD nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

I notice Dell is jigging around with prices again. Base spec above is now €1039 with 250Gb HDD but 1280x800... configuring to match yours is now €1150 albeit with the bigger drive. Vostro the way to go then?

*edit* 6-cell battery. Dell are getting expensive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This happened a few days after I bought the laptop for my sister. The prices went up (for that laptop at least), they dropped back down again about a week later. It's kinda weird.

Advertisement