Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be care more if you saw a foreign national commit a crime? Or not

Options
  • 28-10-2007 3:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Simple question. I think if you say no you are being dishonest because sub conciously I think everyone would be more angry if they saw a Polish guy or black citizen or whatever commit a crime here as opposed to an Irish person. Both are as bad as each other of course. Id say it would be a natural reaction. I ask because of the 'Love Ulster' 'riots' and the number of foreign nationals whom inexplicably became violent Republicans that day! I have to admit that did annoy me more then if it was just typical armchair Irish Republicans doing the violence. I dont know why but I think its a natural reaction. If you saw a foriegn national commit a crime here would you be more angry then if it was an Irish person? As a result would you be more propelled to actually do something about the individual?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

only if you're the type of racist twunt who starts threads on internet forums asking if foreign people commiting crimes is worse than native born crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

darkman2 wrote: »
    Simple question. I think if you say no you are being dishonest

I think by making that sweeping statement you are being unintelligent.

Crime is crime.

Though I imagine I'd be more angry at the system/those controlling the system if it turned out they had a criminal record as long as their arm when they arrived in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mordeth wrote: »
    only if you're the type of racist twunt who starts threads on internet forums asking if foreign people commiting crimes is worse than native born crime.

I did not ask that. :rolleyes: I said would you be 'more angry'?

Also actually read
    Both are as bad as each other of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

no

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I think by making that sweeping statement you are being unintelligent.

I dont think so. Thats my opinion. Your welcome to deny it of course.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Crime is crime.

Though I imagine I'd be more angry at the system/those controlling the system if it turned out they had a criminal record as long as their arm when they arrived in this country.

I agree with this - no one with a criminal record should be allowed into the state however some have. Id blame the 'system' and individual equally. Just as Irish people should be, and are punished, I would not denegrate the responsibility of the foreign national for the crime in question just because the system failed. The reality is we could have the toughest system here and criminals will get through. Some of the criminals I have in mind might literally make Irish criminals look like boy scouts in comparison (as bad and all as gangland criminals etc are). i.e Mafia - Chinese or whatever. Mutilation is also something im worried about (the EU is taking this extremely seriously) - this is accepted in certain African countries as a norm. Somalia for example and parts of Nigeria are notorious for these practices. Thats not me saying that. Human rights agencies across the globe have been saying it for decades. Ive heard refugees from those countries really stress that issue. I do hope we are vetting as many immigrants/refugees as possible properly. Though I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭in_da_club

???

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

no, and what a stupid question.

oh, am I being dishonest? or do I just not realise my subconcious is racist?
    because sub conciously I think everyone would be more angry if they saw a Polish guy or black citizen or whatever commit a crime here as opposed to an Irish person

this is up there with some of the stupidest stuff every written on AH. a brown star for you. well done.

What has racism got to do with this thread? If you resort to using the term you have lost the argument (if there was one) - once again actually read what I said and dont selectively quote to try to take it out of context.

copacetic wrote: »

this is up there with some of the stupidest stuff every written on AH. a brown star for you. well done.

Doubt it considering recent threads.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

darkman2 wrote: »
    What has racism got to do with this thread?QUOTE]

it appears to be the whole point of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

In fairness guys, OPs initial post was put in an polite objective way, so jumping down his throat seems a little immature to me.

I dont consider myself a racist, and I do see logic in the initial pondering.

I think there are a lot of variables but if for example i saw an African dude mugging an old lady, yes, I would probably be more angry than if it was an Irish guy.

The reason for this is because I feel people should be on their best behaviour when abroad, either as guests, asylum seekers, holiday makers or whatever.

With that in mind, I think the reaction would be quite natural for many people, even people who are not *SHOCK HORROR* racists.

In saying that, I dont remember ever seeing an immigrant act in a way that I really found abhorrent, not compared to the countless times I've seen it with Irish people.

If anyone wants to label me a racist, go ahead if it makes you feel better. I know that labelling people makes some people feel better about themselves, or better about how they feel people are percieving them.

Regardless, I think it would be more constructive to be mature, respectfull and objective when talking about sensitive issues, online, with people you dont know anything about.

Copacetic I think your looking for a different forum tbh. This thread has nothing to do with racism. Once again read the first message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think there are a lot of variables but if for example i saw an African dude mugging an old lady, yes, I would probably be more angry than if it was an Irish guy.

saying i'm not a racist doesn't mean you're not a racist....

......yes, so being the decent person im sure you are - you will readily admit to misinterperating the thread........I will never say 'i am not a racist' because to do so would justify the accusation being put to me or anyone else in the first place without any justification......I believe the 'your racist!' thing is the preserve of the weakest of the politically correct. I also believe that most who use it in that manner are themselves intolerant - intolerant of debate that may upset their delicate sensibilities. This thread has nothing to do with race at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

To be more angry if a foreigner committed a crime rather than an Irish person sounds daft.

Does that mean it's more acceptable for us to mug our own?

Of course it isn't.

that is obvious.. and it does nothing to contribute to the discussion other than to imply that I am a racist.

Are you going to contribute to the discussion or just sit back and point fingers?

Thrill wrote: »
    To be more angry if a foreigner committed a crime rather than an Irish person sounds daft.

Maybe it was a little 'off'. Ive changed the title anyway.

Fair enough. No point having a discussion with people who arent capable of being mature and objective anyway. Later, you stupid racist poo.

womoma wrote: »
    Fair enough. No point having a discussion with people who arent capable of being mature and objective anyway. Later, you stupid racist poo.

From one viewpoint to another with the click of a mouse - Freud would be pleased.

lol dude i was kidding lmfao

• Advertisement

lol dude i was kidding lmfao

so was I - lol! :)

lol there goes my tshirt. tea all over it. cant stop laughing about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

copacetic wrote: »
    no, and what a stupid question.

oh, am I being dishonest? or do I just not realise my subconcious is racist?

I think everyone is guilty of racially guessing a crime- and they are usually right.

Example- looking at BBC news website and you see the headline "Youth dies in South London shooting". Based on previous, you will guess he or the shooter is black. You read the full story and 90% of the time you were right. Same, lets say, you read "Elderley Man Beaten in Rural Robbery". Travellers you assume, a few days later some lad with the surname McDonagh is in court. Its not racist, just a bit of common sense. Black kids die in most shootings in London, and travellers are more often involved in robbing the elderley in the countryside. If i hear someone is shot in Finglas tonight, I dont assume its a Nigerian or Pole killed or involved, its an Irish drug dealer. And im probably right. Honestly, if you hear of an ATM skimming raid and dont think "Romanians", its about the same level of intelligence of hearing about a raid on a counterfeiting or diesel operation on the border and not equating it with the provos.

omfg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I think the OP was asking do we feel angrier when we see a foreign national commiting a crime than when we see an Irish person doing it. I don't think it's a daft question. I've certainly seen total skangers at the height of indignation when they hear of a black guy or a Romanian committing a crime, when it's no worse than what their own mates are doing.

It's sad, but in my experience it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Would you be care more if you saw a foreign national commit a crime? Or not
    That's a trick question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lets be honest here, when you say "African" you mean "Black". Connundrum is African, and White. Paul McGrath is Black, and Irish. You're just assuming that all blacks are African. That's not the case. How would you know if you saw a mugging that the perp was English? Or French? So, the premise of your question is incorrect. If I see crime, I don't think that the perp. is African, Irish or anything else. I just think they are a scumbag.

Darkman, it's obvious from a lot of your posts that you just don't like Foreigners. The least you could do is be proud of your principals and just come out and say it - you're entitled to your opinion after all, even if I find it abhorrent. All this crap about not being racist just makes you look like a liar. Who's racist. You better get used to it my friend, because things are going back to the way they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tha Gopher wrote: »

Example- looking at BBC news website and you see the headline "Youth dies in South London shooting". Based on previous, you will guess he or the shooter is black. You read the full story and 90% of the time you were right. Same, lets say, you read "Elderley Man Beaten in Rural Robbery". Travellers you assume, a few days later some lad with the surname McDonagh is in court. Its not racist, just a bit of common sense. Black kids die in most shootings in London, and travellers are more often involved in robbing the elderley in the countryside. If i hear someone is shot in Finglas tonight, I dont assume its a Nigerian or Pole killed or involved, its an Irish drug dealer. And im probably right. Honestly, if you hear of an ATM skimming raid and dont think "Romanians", its about the same level of intelligence of hearing about a raid on a counterfeiting or diesel operation on the border and not equating it with the provos.

The Gopher speaks the truth!
    Everybody stereotypes groups of people and it doesn't make you racist. It makes life much simpler. I'd agree with everyone of those examples and most of the time you'd be correct and if not, the media will give the correct story

As another example, after the 7/7 bombings in London, the police started a stop and search policy on all Asians with backpacks.
    I remember people screaming RACISM but it wasn't, it was simply good policework (leaving aside Jean Charles de Menezes, that's something different).

It truely is a pathetic tactic that if someone puts forward an argument, then you scream racist as you can't justify your position.
    For instance if I said I think it's dangerous for heavily pregant women from Africa to come to Ireland (on a magical direct flight ;)) as they need to be close to a hospital at all times. But no doubt I'm a racist for even thinking that but I was thinking about a medical emergency on an aeroplane.

Regarding crime, deportation orders ftw. If I was arrested in America I'd expect swift and harsh justice. So why not the same here.
    The Irish criminals can be deported to one of the most remote island we have a claim to :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement