Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 online

Options
  • 27-10-2007 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Not a bargain, but plenty free.

http://www.channel4.com/4od

I particularly like that for once, the 'ROI' viewer is considered when registering.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I didn't know there was any free stuff on there. Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Wow class. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Good find, tfs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Superb Find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Hi,
    Have you been able to watch the free programmes that you downloaded? After I downloaded a few free programmes and tried to watch it, it stopped all of a sudden.
    Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a solution?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hi,
    Have you been able to watch the free programmes that you downloaded? After I downloaded a few free programmes and tried to watch it, it stopped all of a sudden.

Thanks!

Downloading three shows at the moment - the 4OD app can be a bit flakey at times and the servers timeout now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Hi,
    Have you been able to watch the free programmes that you downloaded?
    Thanks!

Yes, Father Ted first episode.

Hi,

Thanks!

Could be DRM. All 4OD files are infested with DRM. Does your WMP as k you to upgrade security?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Thanks for the link op!
    Just installed it and it seems really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

This is a good service alright, but when I tried using it for a while a few months ago, I found that the client that they use to deliver the service, uses up a lot of your download allowance/bandwidth at times.

It downloads some content that you won't not be able to watch without paying first. It mightn't be a big deal to others, but if you are downloading a lot from other sources (or seeding torrents, etc.), it can affect performance.
    Free TV from the last 30 days - Other shows to rent from 99p - films from £1.99

But I agree its a step in the right direction for TV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks OP, nice find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

The Wire and Nip/Tuck look set to appear on 4oD after Channel 4 struck a deal with FX...
    see guardian article here
    PaJoe

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Just a warning regarding 4od. This is worth a read.
    http://mou.me.uk/2007/05/09/kserviceexe-channel-4-and-the-stolen-bandwith/

Dingatron wrote: »
    Just a warning regarding 4od. This is worth a read.
    http://mou.me.uk/2007/05/09/kserviceexe-channel-4-and-the-stolen-bandwith/

Cheers for that. Sure enough, when I checked my network monitor a few hours after downloading a show last night, there were lots of UK connections being made to the PC. Thast was after thinking I shut down the app.
    I had forgotten 4Od uses P2P.
    Users may also notice kservice.exe inserts itself as a startup service/program no matter how many times you tell it not to.

I'll be doing as the above link suggests - deny kservice when I'm not using it, allow when I do - I'll allow it do its P2P thing to share fairly but not allow it run unhindered.

Also, khost.exe seems to be part of it too

Thanks for the link, Dingatron.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

word of warning on 4od. It wouldnt work on my laptop unless i installed WMP11. i was not inclined to wmp11 as theres warnings all over the net over wmp11 not allowing you to copy cds and play them more than once.

Hence i cant watch 4od AND ive no channel 4 on the tv which is a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

4oD made my computer run really really slowly when I got it over the summer- I'm talking about 10 minutes to boot up? I've deleted it since, and everything's back to normal now.

Channel 4 is the only thing keeping me on NTL. I'd love sky plus but I understand they don't offer C4/E4/More4 etc?

vibrant wrote: »
    4oD made my computer run really really slowly when I got it over the summer- I'm talking about 10 minutes to boot up? I've deleted it since, and everything's back to normal now.

Channel 4 is the only thing keeping me on NTL. I'd love sky plus but I understand they don't offer C4/E4/More4 etc?

Sky do C4 now (some US imports/films are blocked) - it's on the EPG so you can Sky+ it.
    As are E4 and More4.

You must have at least a basic subscription to watch the channels.

Advertisement