Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clocks go foward/backwards: Complete mind phuck

Options
  • 27-10-2007 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Tonight at some time the clocks are meant to go backwards or forwards or some sideways or something. End result is that I gain or lose an hour of sleep since I have to be up at some time in the morning for work.

What's the dealio? If I have to be up and in work at 9, using the time we're using now at this very point in time before the time change, what time do I have to get up at?

I can never do this.

Edit: I get an extra hour of sleep, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Binomate wrote: »
    Tonight at some time the clocks are meant to go backwards or forwards or some sideways or something. End result is that I gain or lose an hour of sleep since I have to be up at some time in the morning for work.

Clocks go back one hour at 2am.

What's the dealio? If I have to be up and in work at 9, using the time we're using now at this very point in time before the time change, what time do i have to get up at?.
    Depends on how long it takes you to get to work.

You will have a extra hour in bed.

If you usually get up at 8 to be in work for nine, then set your alarm for nine in the morning.

But don't change your clock.
    I can never do this.
    You can now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

What's the dealio? If I have to be up and in work at 9, using the time we're using now at this very point in time before the time change, what time do I have to get up at?

I can never do this.

Edit: I get an extra hour of sleep, right?

YES an extra hour of beauty sleep:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Lovely. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Binomate wrote:
    If I have to be up and in work at 9, using the time we're using now at this very point in time before the time change, what time do I have to get up at?
    Impossible to tell what time you need to get up at, as it depends on too many variables. However, if you don't change your clock, you will have to get up one hour later than you normally would.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The clocks go inside out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought it was upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Spring forward,
    Fall back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Why do we have to do this?! I'M NO MATHEMATICIAN OR PHYSICIST!!! THIS IS MADNESSSS!
    It's the Jewish Communist lizard farmer conspiracy, isn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Karoma wrote: »
    Why do we have to do this?! I'M NO MATHEMATICIAN OR PHYSICIST!!! THIS IS MADNESSSS!
    It's the Jewish Communist lizard farmer conspiracy, isn't it?!

I like it tbh.

It means it's not as dark when getting up for work in the mornings.

But, then it means it's dark at half four when going home. But I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

DesF wrote: »
    I like it tbh.

It means it's not as dark when getting up for work in the mornings.

But, then it means it's dark at half four when going home. But I'm ok with that.

Bah! It confuses people like Binomate. This is not on. I say down with this daylight savigs thingymajig and down with packets of nuts that don't warn you with a 'May contain nuts' notice. It's making life hard for people like Binomate, damnit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah handy rule of thumb that, spring forward in spring, fall back in fall. I remember a thread not unlike this one when they went forwards earlier in the year. I like the dark, me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

go to the pub. an hour extra drinking time!

FOR SPARTA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Ok, so I get an extra hour in bed. I use my phone as my alarm. I have it set to go off at 8:00 so I can get up and be in work for 9:00. It is now 20:45, and I have just set the clock on my phone to 19:45, which means my nothing else is changed, I should be in on time for work.

My next problem is that I don't know if my phone will calibrate the time to the daylight savings time automatically or not and I don't have the documentation for the phone so I can't tell from the manual. So as it stands, I have a 50% chance of being on time for work, since it either does or it doesn't.

Maybe if I change it back to the true time now before the change, and set my alarm to go off normally, if it doesn't automatically adjust itself, then I get up an hour too early. If it does adjust itself, then i get the extra hour in bed and arrive on time. That's my best bet for getting in to work on time, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

THIS IS MADNESSSS!

MADNESS?

THIS
    IS
    SOLSTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

*kicks*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cremo wrote: »
    Spring forward,
    Fall back.

Spring forward, autumn back I think you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

My fellow Boarders. As a young boy, I dreamed of being an atomic clock, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

robinph wrote: »
    Spring forward, autumn back I think you mean.
    yes but it thought making it into a little rhyme would make it easier to memorise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh to be a barman in a nightclub again.
    And trying to explain to people that clocks going back does not mean we leave the bar open for one extra hour.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

micmclo wrote: »
    Oh to be a barman in a nightclub again.
    And trying to explain to people that clocks going back does not mean we leave the bar open for one extra hour.:mad:

what? but time went backwards! give me mah drinkz!

Sofaspud wrote: »
    MADNESS?

THIS
    IS
    SOLSTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

*kicks*

I loves it!:L

• Advertisement
Advertisement