Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaling down

Options
  • 27-10-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey eveybody,at the moment i have a marlin .22 magnum,im looking to trade it in and go for an spring airgun preferably with a silencer,would i have to get a whole separate airgun licence or would my .22 licence cover the airgun when i change over,also is there anyting i should be looking out for buying an airgun,it would only be for shooting pigeons and targets mostly,any info would be great,thanks.

chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're going to be shooting targets with an airgun, there are only three types of shooting you can try - plinking, field target, and olympic. Plinking you can do with anything, and the airguns for field target and olympic are quite similar in price at high and low ends, but olympic can only use .177 calibre, so it has to be a new licence - but then, airgun licences don't seem to encounter the same difficulties that cartridge rifles encounter. On calibre, FT can use any calibre, Olympic has to use .177, but an Olympic airgun won't be usable for FT and vice versa because of the different ranges (FT rifles usually have a higher pressure than Olympic) - although there are FT and Olympic models of air rifles from all the major manufacturers in the same model line.

Best advice is probably to try both and then decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

suttongun wrote: »
    .....would i have to get a whole separate airgun licence or would my .22 licence cover the airgun when i change over.....

chris

Your Firearms Officer should be able to change your licence from .22 to .177, providing you can show that your .22 has been sold, or is in the custody of a firearms dealer for sale. Providing there's no change of duty (and there isn't because air guns are 38 euro also), your FAO can change the details.

Your licence may look a bit strange, with original details crossed out and new details written in in biro, but that's the way it works:D I think eventually your new details will (might!) end up on the Pulse system and next year your licence will be printed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

I forgot to mention the rifle i have now isnt an airgunid mostly use it for rabbits but i hardly get a chance to use it and would have to travel far to find rabbits,would there be many airguns that have silencers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Quite a lot of hunting air rifles would sutton.

Would they be spring powered or mostly gas powered?How much would a new hunting airgun roughly cost,including silencer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

suttongun wrote: »
    would have to travel far to find rabbits

I dont live a million miles from Sutton. Google Earth.... you would be surprised how much green land there is in North Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

hi ya air guns just got rid of a air arms break barrel and bought a daystate pcp also changed down to a 177 cal from 22cal as it shoots flater aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalso stick to dome head pellets and watch the weight of the pellets .....so go pcp or underlever at least in 177 cal ,i still get the rabbit no prop with 177 my rifle is only12ft ibs

I was looking at the pcp rifles and im very impressed with them,the daystate models are interesting,How far would you get in feet out of a shot as in maximum distance,would there be any regulations or anything in getting a tank to charge the gun?

pcps can shoot out to 80 yards which is huge but you'll pay for it,cash is king regulations for charging not realy but slave tank should be checked every 5 years.

Really 80yards,overall what would one pay for gun,silencer,scope and tank?Id have a trade in of a .22 rimfire magnum,its in good nick hardly any marking on it,scope on it too

• Advertisement

ya i think Daystates AirRanger can shoot 80 yrds price i dont know as it would be a top of the line gun you can pay what you like for a scope silencer is about 50 euro and its made of carbon, price of a tank depends on the size i priced one in England at Midlands Fair at 200 pounds thats included the cable a it was a 3 litre tank the smallest .........Maybe you should think of using the scope and mounts off your 22 for a while and just trade the gun

Im looking to pay around the 500 to 600 mark for a second hand gun if i can get one at that price hopefully,i have a spare scope so that'd be handy,i didn think the tanks would be dat exspensive,would you bring the tank back to the gun dealer to be recharged?

hi again Chris with that cash you'd best to buy second hand if its a pcp you fancy.....but you could go new i'd imagine if you bought a under leaver spring air rifle. i'd not buy a break barrel as i had one and nedds more looking after to insure it shoots straight
    the tank for the pcps gets filled at a dive shop or even fire station if you know someone but you'd be lucky to find a gun shop that could fill it ....... i use the hills pump as they call it....it takes more time but it works well for me

i head you can charge a tank with a compressor but the air going in must be clean,i was looking at the bsa ultra multishot and it seems reasonable

ya a copmresser but not any compresser it has to be able the fill to 300 bar as your air rifle will fill to 240 or so....... this compressor i can"t say would be cheep bsa multi looks well good air gun maker BSA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

pcp's i wouldn't touch a BSA, it can't be compared at all to an AA410 or HW100, they are just miles ahead and secondhand would be just about your budget. you can also get a pump to refill them with.
    if you could a theoben rapid is the best high power airgun, most shots at high power etc.
    if you can at all you should try and bring one in from the Uk, it has a huge secondhand market etc.and it's pretty easy to bring one back, you don't need a licence for it on the english side and the paper work to bring it in is straight forward.
    if your going for a springer again look at the HW's and AA's, these with great shooting are good to 50 yards the pcps at very high power might hit at 80 yards but pellets are not so good in any wind as a bullet.
    the main gain over a rimfire is they really are silent cheap to run and fun to shoot( takes a fair bit more stalking etc.)
    Bryan

thanks for all the info lads,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

i have a bsa multishot hornet (pcp) . i have a 300 bar bottle which i charge from air tanks at the scuba club, will fire 100 shots per charge, bottle holds 5 charges. its handy cause you can operate the bolt if your a leftie or rightie. hawks scope and mounts. its also silenced. if you fired it 5 yards away you wouldn't hear it - neither did the bunnies. might consider selling it ......

third gun down https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/59042/45963.jpg

Advertisement