Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steyr mannlicher .270 trouble

Options
  • 27-10-2007 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, im having trouble keeping the grouping anywhere near close with the 270 it has a 8 x 56 fixed schmizt and bender scope. im using 130 grain ballistic tip federal premiums. has anyone had this problem or have any ideas why this is. i have a 243 steyr and am using 100 grain and this is grouping perfect. both these guns are brand new.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

trooper99 wrote: »
    hi, im having trouble keeping the grouping anywhere near close with the 270 it has a 8 x 56 fixed schmizt and bender scope. im using 130 grain ballistic tip federal premiums. has anyone had this problem or have any ideas why this is. i have a 243 steyr and am using 100 grain and this is grouping perfect. both these guns are brand new.

Checklist;
    New rifle so you did clean the barrel before use and broke it
    in correctly,right?
    Action/bedding screws tight
    Scope mounts/rings tight
    Barrel free floating, no contact with stock
    Heavy trigger pull may affect group size
    Is it possible that you are flinching?

Other things to consider are the bullet used , although Federal Premium are good they may not suit YOUR rifle. What group size do you consider acceptable from this 270 and how much bigger than what you find acceptable is the group size? Others may be able to add more to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A follow up to Gerri's very good check list.
    What group size do you consider acceptable ?

Does this rifle throw shots i.e. shots 1 & 2 are consistent and #3 is a flyer?

Change bullet weight.

Is there a difference between your mechanical zero and your actual zero ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I found I flinched a lot when I first started shooting 270, and my accuracy was a lot less than with a 6.5, but it improved after a few hndred rounds and wearing a "sissy pad".

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

May be completely off the mark here but I was told before that a rifle actually needs bedding in in order for it to group "well".
    The advice I was given was you would need to put about 60 rounds through it, at which point it should be grouping well. It will then continue to group well for about another 60, after which point you need to clean, cycle another 60 or so though it and so on.....

Actually, as I was typing that I was beginning to doubt the logic of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

describe the grouping you are getting,as for bedding it does improve grouping further,but as a starting point the gun should be doing a good job from the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Is this a carbine classic. A mate had one in 25-06 and had the same problem. Dirt Groups 2 inch at 90 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

What size groups are you getting and at what range ?
    100meters..200 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trooper99

well lads at 100 meters id expect 3 shots within a 3" round cirlce at least. we have left it cool down 10 min between each shot aswell. i made a gun vise only yesterday and got the grouping inside this cicle 3 times so it seems that the gun must have been jumping. Its fitted with a stealth modifier so it doessnt actually jump this much. Im going stalking deer tonight so if i take a shot or 2 ill check it again tomorrow ill keep you posted. The 243 is way nicer gun can group that in a one inch circle at 200 yards. thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jonty wrote: »
    Is this a carbine classic. A mate had one in 25-06 and had the same problem. Dirt Groups 2 inch at 90 yards
    AFAIK The 25-06 needs a 17" barrel to perform adequately anything less and it performs like you say.

Advertisement