Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate rice to the hungry with a click

Options
  • 27-10-2007 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

It's a vocabulary quiz; you choose the answers and every time you get one right you donate 10 grains of rice through the UN.

Apparently it's paid for by the advertisers whose ads flash at the bottom of the screen, though there's no identification of who's running the page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Have you ANY idea how MUCH money the idiots who partake in this are making for the owners of that site? The advertising revenue generated by the numver of hits per page/answer will vastly exceed the 'contribution' they make in rice.....

FFS.

This isn't a bargain alert, it's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I feel sorry for the poor fúcker who has to count out the grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its kind of silly when you think about it. You mean to say they have employed someone to manage the website and say "OK, Luckat got 9 questions right. Count out 90 grains of rice. One, two, three, four, five.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Heh - I suppose the rice is weighed; I know the 1lb measure, for instance, comes from the fact that 1,000 grains of barley almost anywhere in the world weigh exactly 1lb. Maybe they're doing the same kind of thing with rice.

How much *would* the site owners get from the advertising, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Peanuts, I'd imagine. They'd need thousands of participants to make any kind of money (I'd imagine... I'm not an expert).

Its a noble idea, but its pretty flawed.

• Advertisement

Dunno - to me it looks fairly simple. And since October 7, when the site opened, they say they've had 263 million grains donated. If it's straight up, it's a great idea!

At the very least, it's going to improve vocabulary, which can't be bad. Your score is totalled up according to your vocabulary level; on my 1,000 grains I was at 49, which isn't that fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

49 is great! It only goes up to 50...

I think it's a great idea, I mean so what if the site makes money too, if they're doing a good thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor fúcker who has to count out the grains.

L O L

Really? I thought it went to 100! Yay, I'm a vocabularian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not really a bargain alert, locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement