Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition sms being received. How do i stop them?

Options
  • 27-10-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all
    My brother has been receiving tests from the following number 353863810442. These texts typically ask a question about a celebrity giving 3 possible answers.
    A typical question goes like: "GMTV question.... what celebrity had her car crushed for refusing to pay tax? Was it A) *** B)*** etc etc". The GMTV part is accurate to the sms by the way.

He says he is being charged roughly €2 a pop for receiving these sms. There is no 'plus' sign before the 353 in the number so i assume these are sent from a web source. Is this correct?
    The problem is that he doesnt recall signing up for anything apart from sending an sms in response to a competition advertised on Aertel. I dont have any more details apart from it being a competition to supposedly be in with a chance to win €50k, something like that.
    How do i stop him from receiving these sms in future. Replying with the word 'stop' doesnt seem to work and these sms are arriving daily.

Can anyone give any advice here?

Also is my bro right in saying he is being charged €2/sms.

Obviously he's being stung here so i want to try to help him here

Many thanks in advance everyone

Regards

DG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Ring your network operator. They will be able to provide you with your charges and the 5 digit short code associated with the premuim sms service.They should be able to provide you with the company sending your brother these messages, if they cant contact regtel with the 5 digit number.
    http://www.regtel.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thread closed,Posting the same thread on more than one forum is considered spam.

Dub13

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement