Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay at home mom v's single girl

Options
  • 26-10-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Just looking for opions on this situation,
    Married mum of one child, the child has a lot of illness and needs a lot of attention claimed stamps for the 13months has now been told not entitled to any money because not availble to work hubby self employed but only a small buisness just getting by, so that was fine tried to claim for credits just to stay in system, the hubby has one employee and they wanted that employees RSI number I could not provide it as I told them that was none of my buisness that is his private information so they more or less told me to feck off because I would not give it to them.

Girl I know lives in a flat in town and has not worked since she left school has no kids she is just bone idle and she gets 200 euro per week plus a rent allowance and medical card I am not entitled to a medical card as I was told because I am married and it is up to my hubby to support me even though my child needs monthly prescriptions

am I the only person who thinks when you try to do things right you are wasting your time I have a morgage and get no help from the state but this girl can sit on her arse all day and get her rent paid I have a child but because I am married I am entitled to nothing she has nobody to support but gets 200 quid into her hand

now I am not trying to put this girl down fair play to her I say while she can get away with it I am only sorry I got married

Just wondering what other people think about the divide between married and single when it comes to entitlemets from the state

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I'm not sure if there is a question in your post, or it was just a rant.

Anyway - I presume you are availaing of the Homemaker's Scheme and your husband has your Home Carer's Tax Credit.

Have you applied for a medical card or GP visit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The homemakers credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The medical card is only available to pensioners and those on Disability, so there's a chance this girl could have a medical condition that stops her from being able to work

I have a medical condition, but I don't tell everyone I meet about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

"The medical card is only available to pensioners and those on Disability"

With respect, thats rubbish. The medical card is available for those on low income, and the most families are entitled to the GP visit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In your situation.

You are entitled to the home carer's credit of 770 per annum.
    A credit for all your medical expenditure that is not reimburced via health insurer at the marginal rate.

If your child has an illness that is permanent or requires a lot of medication I beleive there are schemes for this to offset the costs of prescription medication. Contact your GP as offhand I don't know.

If you and your husband are jointly assessed you are one person for income tax and PRSI purposes so your husbands tax affaris are your affairs too.

You seem a bit bitter- do you really think that being on disability is better than being married to a supportive husband? get real. Welfare is no fun nor is it an easy ride- I grew up in a house on welfare/disability and it was no fun not being able to afford most things you'd take for granted. It's 183 or there abouts for the dole and rent relief is 60 bucks a week- doesn't go far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blooeyes

There is also a Domiciliary benefit you can apply for, for a child who needs alot of care, you apply to your local health office, think at the moment its around 281 per month plus a respite grant of 1700 per yr in june. hope this helps.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/health-related-benefits-and-entitlements/domiciliary_care_allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

SetantaL wrote: »
    In your situation.

You are entitled to the home carer's credit of 770 per annum.
    A credit for all your medical expenditure that is not reimburced via health insurer at the marginal rate.

If your child has an illness that is permanent or requires a lot of medication I beleive there are schemes for this to offset the costs of prescription medication. Contact your GP as offhand I don't know.

If you and your husband are jointly assessed you are one person for income tax and PRSI purposes so your husbands tax affaris are your affairs too.

You seem a bit bitter- do you really think that being on disability is better than being married to a supportive husband? get real. Welfare is no fun nor is it an easy ride- I grew up in a house on welfare/disability and it was no fun not being able to afford most things you'd take for granted. It's 183 or there abouts for the dole and rent relief is 60 bucks a week- doesn't go far.

Where do you get your dole from?? Up in Dublin we get 197.85 a wk, and 340 a month for rent allowance, which would be about 90europ/wk..

Agree though, the money dont go far, especially if your giving most of your dole back to the government via buying 7 packs of cigarettes a wk = 55euros..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

SetantaL wrote: »
    In your situation.

Where do you get your dole from?? Up in Dublin we get 197.85 a wk, and 340 a month for rent allowance, which would be about 90europ/wk..

Agree though, the money dont go far, especially if your giving most of your dole back to the government via buying 7 packs of cigarettes a wk = 55euros..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

These credits are available for offset against employment income for people that are employed or are married to an employed person on joint assessment.

If, like yourself, they are on the dole these credits do not apply.

Advertisement