Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Mayo train line

Options
  • 26-10-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭

I have never been on this route before and if travelling for business by train I have only ever been to Belfast and the service is ok leave 7:30 in 9:45, so you get the bones of a days work done. However the train from Dublin to Mayo only leaves at 8:20 and arrived in Mayo at 11:50 (10 minutes late). What is the deal here? Why does the train not leave at 7:00 at least. Holiday makers or the granny brigade are not likely to use an 8am train, most of the people in the carriage seemed to on business, why not cater to them a little better. what is the constraint here?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

IE run the services to keep th staff happy and employed. The customer is a minor inconvenience they have to deal with every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

paulm17781 wrote: »
    IE run the services to keep th staff happy and employed. The customer is a minor inconvenience they have to deal with every day.

The problem is insufficient rolling stock.

The stock that operates the 0820 to Westport operates a commuter train into Dublin beforehand. There is no other stock available to operate an earlier service.

When the full complement of Intercity railcars are delivered there is a possibility of an extra Westport-Athlone connecting services.

One possibility would be an early morning service from Westport to Athlone, that would then return to Westport, possibly offering a connection out of the first train from Dublin to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

KC61 wrote: »
    The problem is insufficient rolling stock.

The stock that operates the 0820 to Westport operates a commuter train into Dublin beforehand. There is no other stock available to operate an earlier service.

When the full complement of Intercity railcars are delivered there is a possibility of an extra Westport-Athlone connecting services.

One possibility would be an early morning service from Westport to Athlone, that would then return to Westport, possibly offering a connection out of the first train from Dublin to Galway.

The word I have is that there will be a service to and from Westport to arrive in around the 10AM mark. When the new 22000 railcars are entered into service, Westport/Ballina will get 5 services a day, some of which will be connections from Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks for the replies KC and Ham. I hope it changes soon as it was the train was only 1/4 full and if making the trip again driving would be more efficient.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

silverharp wrote: »
    thanks for the replies KC and Ham. I hope it changes soon as it was the train was only 1/4 full and if making the trip again driving would be more efficient.

You may also be pleased to know that the journey times should also be cut by a bit upon arrival of the new timetable and railcars (Possibly by 15 minutes, all going well :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement