Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelves: Wood and Joinery

Options
  • 26-10-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I have come to the conclusion that, in terms of bangs for your buck, the worst value for money you can get is in off the shelf (pun intended) bookshelves.

We need a wall shelved. The requirements are straightforward enough: 300cm (w) x 240cm (h) x 30cm (d).

These are typical of the look we want:

http://www.architonic.com/cat/gal/1025003

http://www.aram.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=500

For a wall the size of ours, these will set you back about €5,000-7,000, excluding fitting, depending on how many drawers and cupboards you want included. Just bookshelves (i.e. no drawers) will cost about €5,000.

I have priced a few different makes. In all cases, without exception, you are getting laminated MDF.

When you think of the major purchases you make when fitting out a house, you could, say, have a Range stove or a knockout leather suite, or a state of the art fridge-freezer (not all together!) and have a LOT of change left out of €5k. Paying this sort of money for a few planks of laminated MDF is insane.

I now want to go the bespoke route and find the wood myself and find someone to make the shelving for me.

When we were renovating the house two years we used a wood suppliers and joinery in Inchicore called Gerry Farrell Joinery. They made me three doors in solid teak which are works of art and supplied my carpenters with solid mahogany, teak and oak flooring at a huge discount to the other places I priced. And the quality of the materials was superb.

Unfortunately, I went there the other day and an apartment block is being built on the site. Gerry has obviously cashed in his chips. Good for him.

1. Can people recommend quality suppliers of wood in the Dublin area? Preferably, south Dublin. If anyone had any experience of Gerry Farrell Joinery and considers someone else to be as good, I am all ears.

2. Anyone care to recommend someone who would build bookshelves? The shelves would have to be adjustable in height. I would supply the wood if needs be. Please PM me if you don't want to post here. Please be aware that I am a fussy bas***d! ;-) But, I am very fair and willing to pay a fair price. I would also want to see examples of previous work so that I know what the person intended to put on my wall. I am based in Dublin 14.

Many thanks.

D.

Advertisement