Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror check being run on you? Do you care?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhmhmhqlqlsn/

Japan has started to finger print and photo all visitors, I dont get why people care, They are looking for terrorists i dont see why anyone would care about a backround check being run on them because if anyone can suggest a reason why you would not want a backround check on you because i cant think of a reason why i wouldent want one.

I dont see the problem and wanted to get a general idea, thats why i posted here instead of politics because you are not allowed to post polls there and allot of people on AH would vote

How would you feal about backround checks being run on you 83 votes

i am a criminal and i dont want checks to be run
    0% 0 votes
    i am not a criminal and i do want checks to be run
    7% 6 votes
    i am not a criminal and i dont want checks to be run
    37% 31 votes
    Its an invasion of my privicy so no
    24% 20 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    31% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is your name Paul Tibbets?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe we should stop using user names on boards and start using real names instead.

OP starts methinks.

edit, beaten to it by Jumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Goddamit, no terror for me in Japan so!:(

You never know, my real name might be Jham Phi and I might have lysdexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Thought they'd been doing this in the US for over 2 years, along with asking "Are you in the US to engage in terrorist activities?", or have I been misled?:confused:

• Advertisement

Goddamit, no terror for me in Japan so!:(

Oh yeah?

"Gissa Hug"

http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/Japan/03/singer/koni2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Jumpy wrote: »

That Big Girl sure is beautiful.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't have a problem with the idea behind this, but in practice its going to do nothing. A terrorist isn't going to be walking around airports with a bomb in his case and a huge back story just sitting in some database. He's going to either have no info on him, or just have a fake ID prepared.

What this will do is make traveling annoying for everybody else. Its a preventative measure to give the impression of doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

farohar wrote: »
    Thought they'd been doing this in the US for over 2 years, along with asking "Are you in the US to engage in terrorist activities?", or have I been misled?:confused:

They have indeed and one more question, are you a member of the Nazi party? O_o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

its a bit of a catch 22. I dont like it but if its catching the bad guys or acting a preventative to the bad guys doin something, well, bad, then its achieving something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nothing beats the American system. Terrorists are always caught out by the are you a terrorist question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Why dont they just close their borders ie the US and Japan and all the countries who think they can catch terrorists this way.give us all a break .Have they ever actually caught one from a questionaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ScumLord wrote: »
    Nothing beats the American system. Terrorists are always caught out by the are you a terrorist question.

its no different than any airline asking you "if you packed your bag yourself". Our Irish airlines do it too. And you answer them.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Why dont they just close their borders ie the US and Japan and all the countries who think they can catch terrorists this way.give us all a break .Have they ever actually caught one from a questionaire

its the fingerprinting and photo thingie that acts as a deterrant.

faceman wrote: »

Trouble is Mr or Mrs Terrorist may wear gloves and disguise . Nothing will stop the extreme terrorist as frequently they are suicide attacks so fingerprints etc would not be an issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

biko wrote: »
    Maybe we should stop using user names on boards and start using real names instead.

OP starts methinks.

edit, beaten to it by Jumpy

Our real names? Thats insane! oh wait...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Why don't we toss out our anonymity on boards, post mug shots instead of avatars, including finger prints, DNA sample results, postal address, landline and mobile numbers, credit card and bank account numbers, cam vids of bedroom gymnastics, Yor Ma's name, and for good measure a print of your butt? After all, if you are not guilty of anything, why should you mind?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The problem I have with such checks, DNA especially, which are becoming more common these days is the type of info gathered and who has access to it.

A lot of the info, which can be gathered these days, is a marketer’s wet dream. Info can be used to sell you products, to rule you out of private insurance / health cover, keep tabs on political opponents and so on. Who is to guarantee that the info wont be accessed by people other than security officials and who is to say that those security officials are even using the info to track criminals and not use it politically on behalf of the state. In the US the info is used to keep tabs on everyone from civil rights groups, unions to what way a person is likely to vote. Somehow I don't think it's an accident those most likely to vote democrat were in the majority of those "accidentally" crossed off the electorate register under bush, with private companies "trusted" with the personal Data not to use it improperly or sell it on to third parties.

In theory great, in practice I don’t see how the info will be secure and those holding the info transparent and accountable. In a perfect world with no corruption or opportunism it would work great but in a perfect world we wouldn’t have terrorists either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I blame Karl Hungus for this development. I just KNEW he wasn't travelling there for some simple sightseeing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

clown bag wrote: »
    In theory great, in practice I don’t see how the info will be secure and those holding the info transparent and accountable. In a perfect world with no corruption or opportunism it would work great but in a perfect world we wouldn’t have terrorists either.
    In a perfect world we would not have identity theft, stalkers, database crackers, or (some) people in authority positions with hidden agendas. Only the people who have not been victimized are willing to surrender their privacy rights.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Trouble is Mr or Mrs Terrorist may wear gloves and disguise . Nothing will stop the extreme terrorist as frequently they are suicide attacks so fingerprints etc would not be an issue .

with all due respect, how do you know? What happens in the movies isnt real life, so what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I grew up with faceman. I think a terror check should be run on him.

with all due respect, how do you know? What happens in the movies isnt real life, so what do you mean?

I seriously doubt photos and finger prints is going to stop a terrorist .Most suicide bombers are clean will not have a crime to their name so how would a mug shot and fingerprints stop them .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ruu wrote: »
    They have indeed and one more question, are you a member of the Nazi party? O_o

No, but I used to be :rolleyes: No.

clown bag wrote: »
    The problem I have with such checks, DNA especially, which are becoming more common these days is the type of info gathered and who has access to it.

In this paranoid world we now live in. I believe it's only a matter of time before all babies are DNA sampled at birth along with all inmigrants & visitors.

Then in 20 years or so anyone who spits at a politician will have the police waiting for them at the doorstep when they get home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Sure it is, because suicide bombers are more interested in job security than the ONE OFF attack they need to cause things like blowing up airplanes, trains or airports.

They don't usually come back a second time, and therefore, there's no point in it - unless it's not fjust or terrorists and just general undesirables, which would make more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

ScumLord wrote: »
    They don't do it to catch terrorists, they do it so that if you pull some funky deeds while in the US, they have a bigger book to throw at you.

Japan is doing this because of an increased threat from North Korea, which has been making rumblings and sent a missile over Japanese airspace not so long ago. Also they are getting increasingly concerned about China, which has been bulking up its naval presence; this is also leading to a growth in right wing sentiment in Japan. They also put a contingent of troops on the ground to support the US in its middle east adventurism. And finally the Japanese are notoriously xenophobic, they don't like foreigners, which explains a lot of their fixation on robots - you don't need cheap foreign labour to do the grunt work if you can just automate it.

As for global fingerprinting and DNA checks and so on, I'm completely against it. It might be better for these countries to stop dicking around with far-off places for economic reasons; then they wouldn't have a need to check for terrorists. Terrorists don't just spin the globe and pick a place at random, nor do they come out of a vacuum, barring the occasional nutjob cult. They have very good reasons (they feel) to attack the places they do.

It might be better for these countries to stop dicking around with far-off places for economic reasons; then they wouldn't have a need to check for terrorists. Terrorists don't just spin the globe and pick a place at random, nor do they come out of a vacuum, barring the occasional nutjob cult. They have very good reasons (they feel) to attack the places they do.

That unfortunately is very true, as far as the middle east is concerned anyway.

If they didn't have oil, the west wouldn't be involved at all.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Sure it is, because suicide bombers are more interested in job security than the ONE OFF attack they need to cause things like blowing up airplanes, trains or airports.

They don't usually come back a second time, and therefore, there's no point in it - unless it's not fjust or terrorists and just general undesirables, which would make more sense.

what do you mean by "they dont usually come back a second time"? Did they forget the way to the USA or something or did they lose their map first time round? Are you making this stuff up? So terrorists will only ever attack a country or its people once? so what was happening in iraq with insurgent attacks?

how many "successful" terrorist attacks has there been in the US since 9/11? None. so we credit the terrorists for that because of their "We only attack once policy"?

• Advertisement

As far as I can recall the majority of terrorist activities in the past and present have resulted in attacks on a country or its troops abroad where that country is occupying a nation or dispute over sovernignty etc So the lesson is do not meddle in other nations and terrorism will cease .

Advertisement