Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] airline upgrade

Options
  • 26-10-2007 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Not sure this belongs in here, feel free to move it, but I reckon that if you can get a free upgrade, it's a bit of a bargain.

I've got a long haul flight coming up next week and being a cheapass, I went for economy but thought I'd try my hand at getting a free upgrade. No harm in trying (what're they gonna do, put me in baggage?)

So anyone got good tips on getting a business upgrade?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You'd have a lot more chance getting exit row seats.

The last two times I flew I was able to pay a few quid extra at check-in to get the extra legroom. Okay so I wasn't sipping champagne and getting a back-rub but at least I didn't the back of someone's seat an inch from my face.

Maybe call your airline and see what their policy is. Chances are you'll need to be one of the first in line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hens teeth are easier to get than free no notice upgrades. In general people with a frequent flyer card, and who do lots of business with the airline, are first on the list. After that people on honeymoon etc tend to get them - travelling with a partner by any chance? After that you can be lucky (but don't hold your breath).

My advice - Show up early (really!) and ask nicely is there any chance of a seat with extra legroom or an upgrade available. Don't take this next bit the wrong way (This being the internet I've no idea if you're 11 or 75!): it helps if you are well presented - they will _not_ put a scruffy student in first unless they have a ticket for first!

Paddy

PS Is the long-haul flight the first flight you're on (i.e. Dublin-LA or whatever)? Because if it's Dublin-London-Sydney or whatever, they will only be able to do upgrades in Dublin if it is the same airline the whole way, not codeshare. If it is via London or whatever with two airlines, you 'll either have to take what's offered in Dublin (probably pre-allocated) or decline the check-though and recheck-in in London and see what you can blag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Sometimes economy class is over booked and they have to upgrade somebody. You need to be one of the first to check in and smartly dressed.

My wife and I went to NY with Aer Lingus about 3 years ago. I did some research online first and it paid off - we got an upgrade. Was excellent but I don't think it would be worth the extra money....to a middle class worker anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Upgrades are usually assigned before check in even begins. As has been said, people who do alot of busness etc are already upgraded before anyone else would even get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

leex wrote: »
    My wife and I went to NY with Aer Lingus about 3 years ago. I did some research online first and it paid off - we got an upgrade. Was excellent but I don't think it would be worth the extra money....to a middle class worker anyway.

What sort of 'research', leex? Did you find some incrimnating photos of the check in staff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Slip the aer lingus worker a bit of cash ? Depends on their humour + seat availibility , it does work sometimes.

Advertisement