Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I look for another dentist?

Options
  • 26-10-2007 1:27am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would appreciate some advice. About 2 years ago I got a filling in a tooth on the bottom-right towards the back, big tooth. After an x-ray the dentist explained that it would be a deep filing and if it didn't work I would need a root canal. Anyway I had the filing and she said it looked o.k. and we'd see how it went. I was happy with how she explained things and generally satisfied.

Anyway I have been back twice since then with pain from the same tooth. Both times it was quicker to see another of the dentists there and both times he said it was probably because I was grinding my teeth. The first time he cleaned my teeth and eventually the pain went away after a few days. The second time he repaired the top of the filing which he said yet again I had been grinding and gave me another clean around the gums. Neither time was I x-rayed. Both times I mentioned the previous history of the tooth and expressed my concern that perhaps the filing hadn't worked etc. which he didn't seem too concerned about.

Now for the last month a pimple has appeared on the gum which going by what I read is probably a gum boil (red with white puss coming out of it) and probably means I need the root canal. As usual I have been slow to do something about it. It's not painful so it's easy to put it off but I'm going to ring tomorrow. The only problem is I'm thinking maybe I should go to another dentist. Would the above be reasonable from a dentist. Should I continue to trust them. Maybe insist on seeing the lady dentist who seemed quite good? Is this urgent enough that I should take the other dentist if it means getting in sooner? Thanks.

Advertisement