Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops and mains power

Options
  • 25-10-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Is it a good or bad idea to leave a laptop connected to the mains electricity all day every day (i.e. charging the battery all the time)? Mine is beside a handy socket and I rarely move it from there.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I have been wondering about this too. Will it wreck the battery if this is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can take out the battery with one click at base of laptop hence not charging all the time.On a dell anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

cool, I thought tou needed to have the batteries in for the laptops to work even when they are plugged into mains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Best to unplug it when the battery is full then, plug it back in when it gets slow. Its a pain to disconnect the battery IMO.

I think its dead easy to disconnect the batteryin my dell, pull plastic yoke to one side, battery pops out, easier than taking out a dvd.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think its dead easy to disconnect the batteryin my dell, pull plastic yoke to one side, battery pops out, easier than taking out a dvd.

What are the odds all laptops are exactly the same as your Dell?

On my old Sony it was a pain. On the various Dells I've had since, some where easy and some were awkward. Depends entirely on the model. It pops out easy on my current Dell. 9400.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cool, I thought tou needed to have the batteries in for the laptops to work even when they are plugged into mains.

No, you can remove the battery when the laptop is connected to mains.

I believe the current thinking is to charge your battery fully and then remove it, as opposed to letting it deplete and then removing it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You really shouldn't leave the battery in the laptop while you are connected to the mains for a long time. Over heating will kill the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

You really shouldn't leave the battery in the laptop while you are connected to the mains for a long time. Over heating will kill the battery.

My battery was always in but it got used sometimes and not the rest. It lasted feck all and went from 4 hrs cap to 1 hour to 7 minutes to nothing in around 3 months.

Explanation???:confused::confused::confused:

{Compaq Presario btw}

Even when you are not using it, its being constantly charged. Its the contant charging and resulting heat. That kills a battery quickly. Some products have a battery kill switch so they are not being charged when on AC. I think its a bit of a scam that Laptop makers don't have this. Guess they make more money from batteries if they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Any idea on how to remove the battery on a Dell Vostro 1000?

my inspiron has a click switch on the bottom and the whole unit pops out, maybe the vostro is same dell trick?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BostonB wrote: »
    Best to unplug it when the battery is full then, plug it back in when it gets slow. Its a pain to disconnect the battery IMO.
    Lithium batteries last longest when charged to 40% and then put in a waterproof bag in a fridge (not freezer).

Generally recommended to let it discharge to nearly flat once a month.

A battery acts as a UPS so handy to leave it in, though if you remove the CD and battery then your laptop is a lot lighter to carry.

On mine one of the feet is built into the battery outer cover. So if you remove it the laptop will rock.

Advertisement