Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this for a solid 15mins while in one of my lectures (should be fun when I sit the exams ;))

Now, assuming it could be done - either through near starvation, sheer insanity ... or just curiosity - what would happen if you tried eating yourself?

Be it with the most effective pain killer ever made or something to dull the pain.

What would the outcome be?

What would happen if you tried eating ... yourself 34 votes

dissapear
    0% 0 votes
    double in size
    20% 7 votes
    die very very quickly
    2% 1 vote
    meh
    76% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

you would die very,very quickly.

too much blood loss to be able to survive.id say you might get away with finishing your arm before the lack of blood would take hold and kill you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ever read Stephens Kings 'Survivor Type'?

If not, I think you'll enjoy reading it. It's gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i refuse to part-take in this discussion.

where's the atari jaguar option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kev_s88 wrote: »
    you would die very,very quickly.

too much blood loss to be able to survive.id say you might get away with finishing your arm before the lack of blood would take hold and kill you!!
    But you'd have just eaten your arm and drank all the blood that leaked out so where is the loss? ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There's a Stephen King short story on this very topic

Edit Havok already mentioned it :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Why dont you try it out and let us know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

There's a Stephen King short story on this very topic

Sweet ... I'm in the college library as we speak *runs to fiction section*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

robinph wrote: »
    But you'd have just eaten your arm and drank all the blood that leaked out so where is the loss? ;)
    That blood is now in your stomach, where it only provides you with protein. You need in your bloodstream.

Could be amusing to watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

robinph wrote: »

You'll piss most of it out after a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

you would pass out and bleed to death.

• Advertisement

I think it's in Skeleton Crew. Best book of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Disappear into FAT AIR perhaps ^_^

Alot of people are saying you'd just pass out - so I'm adding to the scenario.
    Let's say you have insulin/morphine or some type of drip connected to an un-eaten limb - and you can't pass out ...

*didn't have the book by the way*

The story is about a surgeon who is the only survivor of an accident and left stranded on a small island, with a large supply of heroin and not much else. He breaks his ankle, is left immobile, and with no real prospect of rescue he starts with the broken ankle and works his way around parts of his anatomy he doesn't 'need', while high on drugs. It's creepy, possible one of the greatest things I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Wouldn't you die kind of slowly?

HavoK wrote: »
    The story is about a surgeon who is the only survivor of an accident and left stranded on a small island, with a large supply of heroin and not much else. He breaks his ankle, is left immobile, and with no real prospect of rescue he starts with the broken ankle and works his way around parts of his anatomy he doesn't 'need', while high on drugs. It's creepy, possible one of the greatest things I've ever read.

That man is a genius - in a morbid, twisted way.

The question is - if you eventually got around to it - how could you eat your own nose or cheek?

And for some reason - you can't use any knives or forks - has be done completely with the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd imagine by the time you got around to eating your face, you would in fact have eaten the rest of yourself, heart, liver, kidneys, lungs and all those delicious faculties you actually need to live, so my professional guess is that you would be 'deceased' as it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If not, I think you'll enjoy reading it. It's gross.

One of his best short stories too.

Where am I going with this? ;) very insightful answers folks - off to get my bus.

Toodle pip

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The body doesnt digest/metabolise blood well. It can cause all sorts of problems. Humans are basically elongated donuts, shoving stuff through the hole isnt going to make it part of the donut again.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Simple equation - take out the damage you'd be doing yourself, the human body's disgestive system is not 100% efficient so you'd be peeing/crapping out the majority of the nutrients in what you were eating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Maybe you need help from the Pre-exam Doctor? Let's see, what are the symptoms? Accessing boards rather than studying? Chatting up classmates when you should be reading? Bags under the eyes from lack of sleep? Having delusions about eating yourself? Conducting boards polls without the Atari Jaguar option? If you suffer from one or more of these symptoms, you need the Pre-Exam Doctor!

How can you reach the Pre-Exam Doctor? Well, unfortunately the Doctor is studying for exams to avoid the very symptoms you are experiencing...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

tastes like chicken mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If I was covered in elephant and castle chicken wing sauce I'd do it.

I'd take care not to start at the wrists though or I probably wouldn't get very far.

If not, I think you'll enjoy reading it. It's gross.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It's quality. The best part is that it's written in the form of a diary and gets less and less coherent as it goes on.

"lady fingers......they taste just like lady fingers"

I believe what the OP is referring to, is Auto-cannibalism. Check out the linkage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lots of guys have tried eating themselves, think you need to have a rib removed to be successful

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

i refuse to part-take in this discussion.

where's the atari jaguar option?

What does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

**** me the OP is a daft one!

next thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

**** me the OP is a daft one!

next thread please

Infraction for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

What would happen after you ate your own stomach. That sh1t's philosophical