Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Acer laptops any good?

Options
  • 25-10-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi. I want to buy a new laptop but can't seem to make up my bloody mind:confused:the reason i want toget one is for multimedia purposes ie downloading music, movies, browsing internet etc etc. I have been looking at the acer range but know very little about this brand so not sure how reliable they are.. I have heard too many negative things about Dell in general so don't want to go with them. Can anyone help me out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Acer are good and despite what you heard, Dell are too.

Do a search of this forum and you will see the real truth about Dells. You simply will not beat Dell in the value for money stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

People have opinions on all major brands,some love Dell (as I do) some hate them, some hate Acer, some love them! Same with HP/Compaq (well I hate them!)
    I've had good and bad experiences with Acer but there aimed as a budget brand and there older models certainly felt that way, but their newer stuff seems a cut or two above what they used to produce alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My friend has an acer for two years now and it's still going strong. He's had no problems with it so they get a thumbs up in my book. Dell are also good. I've had quite a few dell computers and have had no hardware problems to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I own an Acer 5103. I don't think I'd buy another one after this goes. One feature I like is the built in webcam. I think structurly they are a bit soft. That's my experience anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Both acers I have owned overheated really easily. They take ages to get a laptop back to you when you send it to them. I would really like the laptops...if they would stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 IconoclastCynic

In short: no. I've had very poor experiences with Acer in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I hate Acer...worst laptops ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I've had my acer for 3 years now, no problems, happy to recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Have my Acer heading for 2 years now, no problems, very happy with it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

locombia wrote: »
    I have been looking at the acer range but know very little about this brand so not sure how reliable they are.. I have heard too many negative things about Dell in general so don't want to go with them.

So, as you can see from the opinions here, you will hear both good and bad about every single manufacturer.

If you want somebody to tell you "Go out and buy THIS model", I personally would tell you to buy a Dell Vostro, as would a lot of the long-time posters here.

If you want to make up your mind yourself, remember to weigh up the pros and cons of each model, plus the cost and the intended use. Post up some actual models you are looking at and we can help you make that decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement