Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help..

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

hey.im looking for everyones opinions on this!

im looking to get a new laptop.but its not for normal work.im looking for a real entertainment unit.something i can play games on, listen to music on and watch DVDs on.

basically my desired specs are:
    160GB+ hard drive
    2GB RAM
    minimum 256MB graphics
    about 15" screen
    hopefully wireless but not important

all input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dell Vostro 1500 (15.4) or 1700 (17)

Best value laptops out there at the moment for someone who includes gaming in their intentions.

Can be gotten for 800-850 with 256mb 8600GT, 2Gb ram and 160Gb Hard Drive. Wifi is standard on virtually all laptops these days, even the cheapest ones.

8600GT in action here

When you're looking at a laptop with gaming in mind, the price goes sharply up, and that is what makes the Vostro such a bargain. Other machines with 8600Gt would typically cost hundred's more.

This is assuming you are referring to newer games, if you're looking at older titles from say 2005-ish then a laptop with integrated graphics or lower end dedicated from other manufacturers are also worth investigating. But for performance class you won't beat the Vostro.

edit: Sorry if money is no object, I was assuming you have a budget, then you can get better cards like 8700GT, 7950GTX. There are plenty other high end cards but most are extremely rare, those two are probably the easiest to find in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What games are we talking about? Do you want to play new games at settngs maxed out as much as possible? Would you consider going for a 17" laptop? The best graphics card are in 17" laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

yeah im talking brand new games.and yeah id go 17".to be honest id prefer a bigger screen, the 15" was as a minimum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kev_s88 wrote: »
    yeah im talking brand new games.and yeah id go 17".to be honest id prefer a bigger screen, the 15" was as a minimum

Then the best graphics card to get would be either a 7900gs or a 7950gtx. These are great cards. I have a 7900gs and it handles everything I throw at it. The 7950gtx is better and I can only imagine what it's like. You should try dell outlet but there are some serious bargains to be had over on dells ebay page.

What is your budget?

pretty much anything under 1000euro

• Advertisement

You won't get a laptop with a 7900 over on dell outlet for less than a grand. You could try dell outlets ebay page. They have some bargains but I doubt you'd find one for less than a grand there either. You're probably best off to follow HavoKs advice and get a vostro with an 8600gt.

well thanks for all the comments anyways.

really been helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

try dell outlet on ebay...and if you are lucky..you could get m1710 with 512m 7950 gtx for around one grand.... bid on the right time~~

otherwise..a machine like could easily cost over 2000

Advertisement