Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Samsung TV....problem, please help

Options
  • 25-10-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I recently bought the Samsung LE32R87BD from Komplett. Really cool tv, but I'm having one strange problem with it.

I have my dvd player connected via a scart, and when I watch region 2 dvd...the picture is perfect. but when i watch a region 1 dvd the picture displays a little funny. The picture is in colour, but there seems to be extra kinda shading going on which produces shading lines across the screen ?

my dvd player is mutli region and i never had any issues on my old phillips lcd!

Can anyone confirm if they have this same tv and region 1 dvd display correctly. I'm hoping this is just a setting thing. I can't imagine a lcd tv that can display a NTSC sourced material :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

anyone?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, have you tried plugging the DVD player in a different scart socket? Maybe just in case only one/some of the sockets support NTSC.

Is there a menu option in either the TV or DVD player for video input like "PAL/NTSC/AUTO"?

It does seem to be compatible with NTSC, as most TV's are nowadays.

I'll try that later...but there I cant find an option anywhere to select the signal type(i.e.ntsc or pal)...I did think maybe only the hdmi connection might only be able to show the ntsc stuff ???

pain in the ass

i can not imagine an lcd tv being sold that was not capable of showing ntsc stuff

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've read the manual, which does indicate that it plays NTSC.

There is only one option that might be worth trying, it's called TINT, and it's in the Picture settings menu. According to the manual, Tint only has an affect on DTV and NTSC pictures.

Dunno if it'll help, but sure worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Bruce,
    Have you resolved this yet? I just bought a new Samsung LE40M8 40in 1080 LCD TV and I have a slew of NTSC Videos and DVDs, a Video Player that plays NTSC videos and a revion free DVD player. This has always work fine on my older/ cheaper TVs but on the new Samsung it looks like rubbish, almost B/W and all washed out. I've tried adjusting everything but it still looks terrible. As said before, i thought all TVs had NTSC play back. After paying a lot of money for this TV if I can't improve the quality of NTSC playback I will be returning it!

• Advertisement

it was kinda resolved two ways

the first I bought a new dvd player with a hdmi connection, and my region 1 dvd's look perfect.

the second was a setting that a friend of mine found in the tv set up settings, that I'm struggle to find now...leave it with me and I'll come back to you on that. We did find the ntsc setting, but the picture was much better on my new player via hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for that. I have since found a NTSC setting, but it doesn't seem to work. On Menu-Channel-Manual-Colour, you can set it to Automatic, Pal or NTSC. It was initially set to Automatic which should be able to switch between PAL & NTSC on it's own, anyway I set it to NTSC and saved it but saw no difference and when I went back later it was at Automatic again. The Region 1 DVDs don't seem too bad, but the NTSC Video are terrible. I need a new DVD player so I'll be sure to get one with a hdmi connection, but I don't know what I'll do with my large collection of NTSC videos, they are actually too bad to even watch and I have a lot of great Christmas videos in NTSC that I wanted to watch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Other than the NTSC issue I love the TV.

Advertisement