Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Years Ago...

Options
  • 24-10-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

24 Oct. 2007

Worth a mention..

Today marks the 4th anniversary of the last commercial passenger flight of Concorde

Sorely missed in the skies.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Awesome aircraft but too poxy expensive for the average person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

wow

was expecting something interesting there

bleh...its a plane.nothing that great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was just talking to a few friends about this yesterday, had no idea it was 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

bleh...its a plane.nothing that great!

Na nothing at all just the fact you need one to get to Spain or wherever really quick, infact much faster than a boat or to drive...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And the invasion of Iraq was over four and a half years ago. Bloody scary!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

and on this exact day 4 years ago I CANT REMEMBER WHAT I WAS DOING!!!! ZOMG!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Steyr wrote: »
    24 Oct. 2007

Worth a mention..

Today marks the 4th anniversary of the last commercial passenger flight of Concorde

Sorely missed in the skies.

:(
    Worth a mention alright. I was working on the roof of Dublin Airport years ago and had a birds eye view of concorde taking off. That baby made some noise and it had a crazy ascent angle. I was mesmorized. What a mad idea to make such a powerfull high maintenance craft into a passenger plane! I felt glad to be on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why did they stop using it? Cant remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Steyr wrote: »
    24 Oct. 2007 Worth a mention..Today marks the 4th anniversary of the last commercial passenger flight of Concorde Sorely missed in the skies.:(

I remember it... Conc used to fly over my flat in London on its final approach every day around 5pm. Wheels down. Noisy bugger, but fab to watch. It also flew over my flat one year with the Red Devils alongside... Think it was something to do with the Queen at the time... You could nearly touch it as it passed... Sorely missed....

TJ911...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

S O N I C B O O M !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Worth a mention alright. I was working on the roof of Dublin Airport years ago and had a birds eye view of concorde taking off. That baby made some noise and it had a crazy ascent angle. I was mesmorized. What a mad idea to make such a powerfull high maintenance craft into a passenger plane! I felt glad to be on the ground.

what was it doing taking of from dublin, wasn't it based in london gatwick, paris and new york
    Trojan911 wrote: »
    I remember it... Conc used to fly over my flat in London on its final approach every day around 5pm. Wheels down. Noisy bugger, but fab to watch. It also flew over my flat one year with the Red Devils alongside... Think it was something to do with the Queen at the time... You could nearly touch it as it passed... Sorely missed....

TJ911...

had the same view my self, we were also under the heathrow path, a plane in the sky every time you looked up, but you didn't even have to look up for concord, you could tell it from the noise, fantasic view, seen it take of a few times from gatwick, the noise was absolutly incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

S O N I C B O O M !

Hydouken.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Why did they stop using it? Cant remember...

Cos of the massive crash in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cornbb wrote: »
    Cos of the massive crash in Paris.

still continued to fly after the crash, but the operating costs, including the costs for the measures to prevent a similar acident happening again out weighed the money coming in from fares

was no longer profitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

irish-stew wrote: »
    was no longer profitable

Tell Mr R Branson that though..... He wanted to continue them but was denied the licence (I bet he would have made a good job of it too).

TJ911...

what was it doing taking of from dublin, wasn't it based in london gatwick, paris and new york

Also a VERY frequent visitor to EINN ( Shannon Intl ) for Pilot Training and crosswind training..

Trojan911 wrote: »
    It also flew over my flat one year with the Red Devils alongside... Think it was something to do with the Queen at the time...

You mean the RAF Red Arrows, and most likely for The Queens Birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

OP: Do not x-post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

irish-stew wrote:
    what was it doing taking of from dublin
    Presumably because it had previously landed there? :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Airbus A380 had it's maiden commercial flight today. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The Airbus A380 had it's maiden commercial flight today. :o

Thats right, to be a passenger is out of most of our price range at the moment but wow..what a machine!! Its like a flying city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

still continued to fly after the crash, but the operating costs, including the costs for the measures to prevent a similar acident happening again out weighed the money coming in from fares

was no longer profitable
    Afair, on examination, there were microfractures appearing along the wings of most of the ones in service and as you mention, the cost of repairing/maintaining the craft, along with a massive explosion in the demand for for low-cost economy seats, made them unfeasible.

BA had been running them at a loss for a number of years. The crash and the subsequent maintenance issues were just the excuse BA needed to ground them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    ...and surprisingly quite for it's size as well.

Here is a video I managed to get when they were doing some circles over the parents house in Bristol a few months back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-_4RqJeNk

Edit: and I went and sat in the cockpit of the last Concorde to ever fly around about then as well which was pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I remember it was wicked loud, and I was very small-hehe. Once we moved to Vermont the Concord's route wasn't over us.

Rockee wrote: »
    Thats right, to be a passenger is out of most of our price range at the moment but wow..what a machine!! Its like a flying city :)

Cheapest seat going for the maiden flight was £600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

robinph, that airbus vid seems to be in slow motion! :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mike65 wrote: »
    robinph, that airbus vid seems to be in slow motion! :)

Mike.
    It was coming in to land about a mile or so down the road, but it really flying that slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Orange69 wrote: »
    Hydouken.

That is all.

*snigger*

Advertisement