Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iqon Laptop - Tescos

Options
  • 24-10-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

i bought an Iqon Laptop from Tescos(i know, i know) about 2 months ago which just refused to turn on the other day, there is power going to it as one of the LED's lights up when i switch it on.
    i went back to Tescos last nite with it, my local one in Dublin not the one in Balinasloe where i purchased it.
    i was advised that they were not obliged to take it back and to contact Iqon themselves.
    now obviously i know that this is not the right proceedure under Sale of Goods, but my question is do i have to return it to the store i bought it in or are they obliged to take it back at any Tescos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why don't you ring IQon for starters as they have an Irish number and go from there? Bit like if Dell pc breaks, your expected to check what the issue with it is first as it may be something simple. If they refuse to fix/take itback (be it to tesco or themselves, then your rights kick in as you say)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

trust me its nothing simple, iv had a few lads look at it, to be honest i just wnat my money back at this stage as its been nothing but trouble, but ill ring Iqon tonight and see how it goes from there, sound

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

i just wnat my money back at this stage
    This you may have a problem with. It sounds from your post that you havent given the seller or supplier a chance to check out the problem yet, which in fairness they are entitled to do before deciding on whether to refund repair or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Was thinking the same thing, according to Iqon you have had no trouble so you probbaly have to giev them a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you can and should bring it back to the store you purchased it and what you were told in your local tesco store was wrong, while they did not have to take it back in that store their balinasloe branch are obliged to provide a repair replacement or refund after examining the faulty goods as your contract is with tesco's balinasloe not Iqon or anywhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

If you ring Iqon they are very fast to reply to e-mails (sent them with return receipts) and also phone calls, if needed they arrange next collections from Interlink Ireland.

Regarding refund I think once they tried to fix 3 times they must replace or refund.

Also hope your friends that while your friends tried to fix it they didn't open it as that probably void any warranty in it.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If you can get a refund, that is probably the best route. It may be coincidence - but I've worked on 2 iQon machines all of which gave trouble to the user within a few weeks of purchase. The case seemed very flimsy and the build quality didn't impress me. Customer service made a summary diagnosis in one case which was clearly lazy and incorrect. Both machines ended up in a skip after repeated callouts to friends (me) and experts to fix.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Replace, Repair OR Refund, its upto Tesco or Iqon which they'll give you, its not upto you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

nava wrote: »
    Hi

If you ring Iqon they are very fast to reply to e-mails (sent them with return receipts) and also phone calls, if needed they arrange next collections from Interlink Ireland.

Regarding refund I think once they tried to fix 3 times they must replace or refund.

Also hope your friends that while your friends tried to fix it they didn't open it as that probably void any warranty in it.

Regards

sound for that, you wouldnt happen to have an email address for them would you?

ive talked to a lot of people and the general consensis is that Iqon, while they may be decent spec, they are just thrown together and sooner or later give trouble.

no they havnt opened it, although i was tempted as i need whats on the hard drive but i didnt in the end in case it had to go back.

so basically its the same dose as when a phone goes wrong, usual waiting around while they get back to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

Contact details are here they are also very good at answering the phone with no long waiting times.

If you send the mail to tech@iqon.ie include your serial number, if they don't reply after a couple of days try sales@iqon.ie.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Your contract is with Tesco, not Iqon. You do not need to contact them. You can if you want things to go a bit faster but Tesco have to repair, refund or replace it under law. They cannot fob you onto the manufactuer. I'd recommend going the Tesco route as that's more likely to get you a refund. The manufactuer does not have to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Tesco could have appointed iqon as their service agent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nava wrote: »
    Hi

ROFL, it seemed they didn't want to know me when my Iqon laptop literally fell apart (casing completely split in more than 5 places and not from dropping it either) after 10 months

OP Iqon dont get to decide whether they replace, repair or refund Tesco do (being realistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

According to today's papers, the High Court has appointed an examiner to iqon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

According to today's papers, the High Court has appointed an examiner to iqon.

Further info re Iqon from the SBpost:

SB PostIqon story

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

The problem here is that no matter where you buy a computer, be it Dell, Tesco, Harvey Normans, Lidl, Currys etc.., is that they don't want it back unless they have a service centre, like Currys have. The norm is that you have to send to manufacturer to have repaired. Ask if you are going to buy one and they will tell you that is the procedure. You can pay extra and get warranties etc., to have fixed in the Curry shop.
    What the sellers have done to fix this problem is to have the system where your product is collected free of charge usually if under warranty and have it fixed by service centers or the manufacturer of the computer like I-Qon for instance. They will then have the computer back to you usually within 2 weeks. Problem solved or replace, refund as nescesary.
    Everybody happy then but it is up to the likes of I-Qon or Dell whatever manufacturer it is to call wheter to fix, or replace. It is not up to the buyer.
    It seems that you are not happy with the computer but that is life. You can't just decide to get a different brand.
    My view is actually as the consumer I should be entitled to bring it to where I bought it and get a refund as I see fit, but I am experienced in selling with Tesco.
    Hugh

Advertisement