Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building temporary traphouse

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I want to build a temporary traphouse for shooting DTL at my home,
    I cant find any guidelines for the construction of one, I have seen various types of things but I would prefer to make somthing to a specification, recomended materials and size. I am open to sugestions on material, is a sheet of galvanised roofing much protection at 16 yards? I have my doubts but havent tested it. any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

I have a few of these used for range testing and training. I've found the best top cover is to use the stuff that conveyor belts on rock quarries are made from - looks like a type of ballistic rubber.

I have some schematics on construction. PM me and I will dig them out and fire them off to you.

Regards,

N

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Cool. Take pics at the stages of construction and post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Galvanised roofing sheets will do the job. Another option is a heavy grade plywood ( marine ply or vanply or the likes ). And than again launch them high enough so you don't have to shoot through the traphouse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Try the construction forum for suggestions also (although it will most likely be me that replies)
    A couple of observations, at the start, invest time and effort in a suitable floor to the traphouse, to prevent moisure and plants causing problems, it will reduce maintainance in the future.
    As for the roof, a "double layer" of the roofing material will be better a "single layer thats twice as thick". Does that make sense? Both are the same total thickness but the double layer has a gap between, the gap causes any penetrations to lose energy and not damage the final layer, where as it the layer was twice as thick It would be harder to penetrate, but damage is more severe. Did I describe that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, they were very usefull.
    i will post some pics when constructed they may be of use to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

so you don't have to shoot through the traphouse ;)

...unless you have a 50cal then work away.

Advertisement