Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop location

Options
  • 23-10-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I've recently installed XP onto a new machine, and I partitioned the drive to give Windows a 15gb drive of its own, and keep the rest of the 250gb hdd for my stuff. I was wondering if it's possible to have my desktop on the second partition, rather than the one windows is on? It's just annoying being limit to ~13gb on the desktop when moving files around.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

usually the desktop is just for shortcuts which don't take up much disk space

if you press the start button, and right click on "my documents", go to properties, you can change the location of that (and the related document folders), which would usually be the place people store their files

edit: if you download the tweakui program at this link, it lets you change the location of the desktop folder (under the "my computer" options)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Cheers. I only really use my desktop as temporary storage, when I'm too lazy to find a proper place for something.

Edit: I tried the tweakUI program, it sorta does the job but not really what I'm looking for. That sends any file I place on the desktop to any location I specify, whereas I'd want the file on the visible desktop but have it stored elsewhere, done instantly rather than through shortcuts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You can do it with gpedit.msc but i can't remember which part at the moment.

Advertisement