Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Sale of Goods, Srvices etc Act cover me?

Options
  • 23-10-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Can anybody help me please? I bought a Zen 30G and it shut down altogether so I returned it to Dixons (sorry if I'm not allowed to name shop) and reluctantly exchanged it for an Ipod 30G because they had no Zens in stock. Because the Ipod cost less than the Zen, I put the difference towards a set of 200euro speakers. This was two months ago. Now the bloody Ipod has shut down and I want to bring it back and get a refund, which I think I'm entitled to, but I don't know if they will refund me the money for the speakers because there is nothing wrong with them, other than the fact that I don't need them now. Can anybody tell me whether I am entitled to a full refund for the two products, one of which was purchased only to go with the faulty one? Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

Its unlikely you will get a refund for the ipod. Normally it has to be checked out by apple, repaired or if unrepairable it will be replaced.

You are entitled to either a repair, replacement or refund at the discretion of the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Can anybody help me please? I bought a Zen 30G and it shut down altogether so I returned it to Dixons (sorry if I'm not allowed to name shop) and reluctantly exchanged it for an Ipod 30G because they had no Zens in stock. Because the Ipod cost less than the Zen, I put the difference towards a set of 200euro speakers. This was two months ago. Now the bloody Ipod has shut down and I want to bring it back and get a refund, which I think I'm entitled to, but I don't know if they will refund me the money for the speakers because there is nothing wrong with them, other than the fact that I don't need them now. Can anybody tell me whether I am entitled to a full refund for the two products, one of which was purchased only to go with the faulty one? Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance!

You are not entitled to a refund on the speakers as they are not faulty.

You chose to accept the ipod as a replacement for the zen and you also chose to buy the speakers.

As brian said you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund on the ipod from the shop but it is more or less up to them to say which.

Knowing Dixons, odds are they will insist on sending it off for repair and arse you about over it, their lousy customer service reputation is well earned at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

John R wrote: »
    Knowing Dixons, odds are they will insist on sending it off for repair and arse you about over it, their lousy customer service reputation is well earned at this stage.

Yep, i don't know anyone who has a good word to say about them. Think they stay in business by also owning PC World, and Curry's. So, when people are p**ded off at Dixons they go to Curry's or PC World instead, thinking that it is a different store.

No way that you'd be able to get a refund on the speakers, as there is nothing wrong with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you sure the iPod is actually broken, have you tried resetting it using the help section of the apple website and the option available in iTunes?

More often then not it just needs a soft reset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Agree with Cabaal, are you sure your iPod is gone to the big iPod heaven in the sky? Can you tell us more about what is happening to it?

Or post to Portable Media Players or Mac if you want some help before acting on this.

After that, if the pod is dead, I would highly recommend going straight to Apple rather than through the reseller. Did you register the iPod with Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

It is highly unlikely that you will get a refund by going directly to Apple and no chance with Dixons. I work in a shop where we sell ipods and are under strict instructions not to take them back if we can manage it and definitely never in a million years to give a refund. Every time we take in a faulty one we have to ring up the customer care line ourselves and argue with them for an hour before they will accept it back.
    I wish you the best of luck. I had problems with Dixons and a Zen before myself and I couldn't even get a replacement so you're lucky they actually swapped it for you in the first place. I have been stuck with a broken one for a year.
    Good luck though. At least you might get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Guys thank you so much for all your help. Went back to Dixons and fortunately I knew one of the staff (he just started!) so he went out of his way to help me, got me a replacement pod yay! :D delighted now! You were all right about speakers btw, he just laughed when I asked if was entitled to a refund on them :rolleyes: Anyway, moral of the story IMO is to steer clear of Apple and Dixons if you want friendly and helpful customer service! Unless you know someone who works there of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Monkey61 wrote: »
    It is highly unlikely that you will get a refund by going directly to Apple and no chance with Dixons. I work in a shop where we sell ipods and are under strict instructions not to take them back if we can manage it and definitely never in a million years to give a refund. Every time we take in a faulty one we have to ring up the customer care line ourselves and argue with them for an hour before they will accept it back.
    I wish you the best of luck. I had problems with Dixons and a Zen before myself and I couldn't even get a replacement so you're lucky they actually swapped it for you in the first place. I have been stuck with a broken one for a year.
    Good luck though. At least you might get a replacement.

That's ridiculous, why didn't they offer you repair or replacement? :confused: I loved my Zen so much but they have a bad rep for napping out. Still think they're better than the Ipod IMO.

Advertisement