Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vostro graphics card dilemma!!

Options
  • 23-10-2007 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im in the process of ordering a vostro 1500 but i cant decide which graphics card to choose.

I have the option of :
    GRAPHICS CARD 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT edit
    or
    GRAPHICS CARD 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GT edit

The 8400 comes as standard with the vostro but it costs around 80 to upgrade to the 8600.Im hoping to play a fair few games on the laptop so is it worth upgrading the graphics from 8400 to 8600? is the 8600 significantly better than the 8400?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yes you really need to get the 8600gt, the 6400 gt should not be considered a gaming card at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Go with the 8600gt. Try picking the 1500 that comes with that as standard and see if you can get the price to the same as the one with the 8400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Vostro 1500

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Enhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    Colour Choice Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary Battery Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

that comes to € 869.49 inc. VAT and shipping

Is that a good enough system and price?
    Thanks for your replies fellas!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah that is really good.

You upgraded the battery or something did you? I am looking at a similar system and it only comes to around €800.

Yeah that is a great system and price and is pretty much what I am going to go for if I can get the money together.

• Advertisement

You upgraded the battery or something did you? I am looking at a similar system and it only comes to around €800.

Yeah that is a great system and price and is pretty much what I am going to go for if I can get the money together.

I upgraded the battery,added the integrated webcam and picked the True life display.O and I reduced the warranty to one year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

i got pretty much the same laptop as that last week and i love it. I got it with xp instead of vista though, and no webcam and no better battery (which sticks out a bit btw!)
    Anyway installed need for speed carbon on it, and it plays great on the highest settings, while wouldnt even run on my previous hp laptop. The card is quite good for casual gaming.

Are their many games that would not work on Vista but would work on XP?Would many of the newly released games only work on Vista and not XP?

Yeah there are a fair few old games that do not seem to work on Vista. As of now there are no games that will only run on Vista , but I would recon it won't be that long untill vista will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

fatal wrote: »
    Vostro 1500

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Enhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    Colour Choice Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary Battery Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

that comes to € 869.49 inc. VAT and shipping

Is that a good enough system and price?
    Thanks for your replies fellas!
    I upgraded the battery,added the integrated webcam and picked the True life display.O and I reduced the warranty to one year

i am going to order one tomorrow, got a quote today so they will hold the price and offer for me!! Getting bluetooth added in, the 6cel batt and no cam for 682ince del and my mam is getting it through work so dont need to pay vat. She trys to tell me its very expensive, while meanwhile i tell her its a no brainer....

im not sure about the os either...........xp pro or vista business?? which should i go with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are their many games that would not work on Vista but would work on XP?Would many of the newly released games only work on Vista and not XP?

You need Vista to play Halo 2 and ShadowRun online. Other then that, no...

timmywex wrote: »
    i am going to order one tomorrow, got a quote today so they will hold the price and offer for me!! Getting bluetooth added in, the 6cel batt and no cam for 682ince del and my mam is getting it through work so dont need to pay vat. She trys to tell me its very expensive, while meanwhile i tell her its a no brainer....

im not sure about the os either...........xp pro or vista business?? which should i go with?

Yeah I ordered mine online today :D. I'm hoping the deal starting tomorow is not miles better :P :D .

it is possible to install both OS on the same machine and running one over the other if needed,isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

sure just google dualboot xp vista, should find umpteen guides on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

any new dell laptop should have SLIC in BIOS already... just download a dell oem version of vista from whatever torrent site you prefer...and vista ultimate simply comes without paying even 1 cent..

Advertisement