Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boundaries for Dáil constituencies

Options
  • 23-10-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

Dublin North loses parts of Swords and the area around Dublin Airport to Dublin West, which gains a fourth seat.

I know its not a D.15 but I think it effects the D.15 area.

I didn't think they would spread it out as far as Swords which I find strange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think they are looking at making the fingal area a politcal area as well.

Have you any links to reports on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Only this from RTE really...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1023/dail.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I dont think there is a huge population in that new area to be honest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The large increase in population is in D15 itself, but adding that bit in probably doesn't affect the new ratio of TDs to constituents (1:30,000 is the requirement), while taking some pressure off Dublin North where it was thought that they might gain an extra seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Still, though, it'll be odd for people who consider themselves Swords to vote in Dublin West, but not as odd as Offaly people voting with Tipp. Long term, I expect the constituency boundaries to move towards the Liffey, the M50 and the "county council" boundaries but there's a policy of only shifting boundaries where there is a need to balance population numbers so a radical sensible-izing is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I dont think there is a huge population in that new area to be honest.

http://www.constituency-commission.ie/docs/con2007.pdf
    The Commission recommends that Dublin West, the constituency with the largest variance from national average representation, should be allocated the additional seat (to become a 4-seater) and that population in Dublin North in excess of what is required for its 4 seats should be transferred to support Dublin West as a 4-seater and reduce the variance in Dublin North-East. The proposed transfers are: 12,768 population in the Swords-Forrest/Airport areas to move from Dublin North to Dublin West and 9,021 population in the Portmarnock and Balgriffin areas to move from Dublin North to Dublin North-East; in addition, some 180 population in the Priorswood area of Dublin City should transfer from Dublin North to Dublin North-East.

Advertisement