Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring with webcam

Options
  • 23-10-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Did a quick google on this and searched boards but can't find anything.

does anyone know of software (free please! :) ) that i can use with my webcam to monitor my pet at home while in the office over the internet?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

i'm actually developing software for a college project that will do something similar, it should be ready in a few weeks. I will let you know when i have something finished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Perhaps its not what you are looking for but ...

I have a webcam on one of my office computers.

To see what is going on in the office when i'm out of the office I log into the computer using www.logmein.com. I run the application and watch on-screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Perhaps its not what you are looking for but ...

I have a webcam on one of my office computers.

To see what is going on in the office when i'm out of the office I log into the computer using www.logmein.com. I run the application and watch on-screen.

i know its for your officce, but isnt that like an invasion of privacy? do the other people working there know you do it?

my old place of work use to have a hidden camera in the office, and they got in serious trouble for not telling anyone it was there.

afaic, hidden camera's in workplaces are not legal?

I can see your point...

But there is nothing hidden about it. It sits there on top of the screen. The main reason I use it is because the rooms I use are in a shared building and the entry door is always open because people are in and out the whole time. Also it is a deterrent to stop people from stealing computer parts.

I don't use it for staff reasons at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thats understandable so, but do the staff know its running?
    i think its more of the point that you "could" use it to watch what the staff are doing.

while if the staff knew its there as a deterrant against theft, then im sure its not a problem, and they would know that they are monitored.

id go mental if i found out my current boss had a hidden camera where i work....

plus, id be sacked ;)

• Advertisement

Tbh, I log into that particular computer the most because it is the file server but I rarely use the webcam.Its good to view what comes in the door but the rest of the room is not caught.

Anyhu, I work 60 hr weeks so the last thing I want to do when I'm away from the place is look at it!!

On another note OP, the refresh rate is quite poor using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im using somehting similar for home security atm. When i get home ill get my housemate to post the software we use. What i like about it, is the ability to upload still images to a ftp, and same with a live cideo recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Would also be interested in that Anti, looking for one my self.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

This is the software we used

Works nicely once set up correctly

http://dorgem.sourceforge.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nice one man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Spankeh, can you explain how I can set up the software you linked so that I can view my webcam from Work etc.. I dont have any FTP site or anything, would prefer to stream the camera so I can watch it live (fast or slow FPS ) in work etc.. I can't seem to figure it out to use it like that.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

A very simple solution would be to use Skype. Run one copy of the program on the webcam machine and enable auto answer and auto video start in the options.

Now all you have to do is a make a skype call to that pc whenever you want to view the camera. The call will be answered and a live video feed will start pretty much instantly.

The advantage of this method is that you don't have to worry about opening ports or anything like that because Skype is pretty good at NAT traversal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Duffman wrote: »
    A very simple solution would be to use Skype. Run one copy of the program on the webcam machine and enable auto answer and auto video start in the options.

Now all you have to do is a make a skype call to that pc whenever you want to view the camera. The call will be answered and a live video feed will start pretty much instantly.

The advantage of this method is that you don't have to worry about opening ports or anything like that because Skype is pretty good at NAT traversal.

Thats not a bad idea

Advertisement